Harmonic Tone from Bridge?!

NedRyerson

In all my years, I've never experienced this before. But then again, I've only started putting guitars together myself just over a year ago.

Before I try to take video of this, has anyone ever encountered what sounds like a harmonic hum from either the bridge or the pick-up cavity or SOMEWHERE in the body when plucking an open string?  It sounds like there might be something loose and my first reaction was something in the bridge (Fender Strat standard trem, although unbranded import OEM type). But everything feels tight so I don't know what could be vibrating as a result of the string's vibration.

It's different from fret buzz (I know what that sounds and feels like).

Trem claw and springs feel tight.

Design is a typical Strat style.  Mahogany body, 3-ply pickguard, 3x single coil, etc.  And this vibration hum seems to be localized to the bass strings.  I've raised and lowered the saddles, moved them forward and back and reintonated (though the low-E refuses to cooperate).....

If it was just for my own collection, I wouldn't worry about it, but I built it for a friend and I can't hand it over without knowing what the heck it is!

Could be sympathetic vibrations which means it could be coming from anywhere. Check everything from the tuners down to the strap button on the bottom. I've seen vibrations come from some odd places.

I've experienced similar sounds from vibrating springs in the guitar.  In my case it was the big spring from a b-bender, but your trem springs may be vibrating as well.  It may be that the lower register of the guitar is closer to the sympathetic frequency of those springs, hence the tendency to do it with the low E string.

The cure is to dampen the springs, either by stuffing with foam strips or covering with heatshrink.

Check your tremolo springs. I stuffed bits of a 1980's vintage sock tie that had lost its shape into the coils to shut them up for good.

I'm sure the period correct neck wear was critical to getting the proper vibe

My fix for sympathetic vibration in trem springs is to cut foam from pickup boxes and insert it into the middle of the spring. This fix is invisible and doesn’t effect the function of the springs.

Posted for posterity, not because @nedryerson needed a solution.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I use the heavy duty silent springs from FU-Tone, and they are quite noticeably quieter when recording.

YO i'ma have to try deez!! Its about time somebody inventioned a product like it. I guess the old saying, "if DMX doesnt rap about it, does it even exist?" isn't true after all!

Back