Guitar Tracks Pro Question

MikeW

I'm not getting any signal coming into tracks where I've got my USB interface (JamVox) selected as the input. It's strange because I get great signal into Guitar Rig and the JamVox is working fine by itself, but GT just doesn't get any signal.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Have you looked around inside Guitar Tracks for a switch to add your guitar? I assume that it's playing all it's parts, which are listed along the bottom, but there's a way to turn on the outside tracking. I haven't looked at it for a long time, I think I'm stuck on V5 or so, but it's bound to be somewhere. If not there, there's some settings on your soundcard, accessed through the Control Panel, that determine what's allowed to go where. It's in there somewhere.

I'm sure it's not the sound card or ASIO driver settings. The JamVox and Guitar Rig wouldn't have any signal if that was the case, and those are working fine.

I think I'm looking for exactly what you say: "the switch to add my guitar to a track". I just can't seem to figure out where that switch is.

:dontknow:

Is this the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro or the Guitar Pro Tab site? If it's the Cakewalk, you have to "arm" each track by clicking on the little red "record" button at the top of each track. I have that loaded, but I haven't used it since about three computers back. It used to work...

So I'm switching from Cubase LE to the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro (v4).

Just like in Cubase, the little record button for each track has to be enabled for it to be 'armed' so it can take input. I'm not at my computer at the moment, but as I remember it, the record button in GT Pro was never enabled. I'll check it out again tonight when I get home and post what I find.

Thanks for the help Stub!

I have the lowly Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro V1 - is "vintage" software ever gonna hit the "coveted vintage" market? I remember that contrary to some, their booklet was confusing but the "help" was actually pretty useful. There's a "tutorial" page that just goes from one connection to the next to the next. I know, reading instructions is kinda dorky... :toothy12:

So I've been playing around with different configurations for the last couple days. Here's what I've found out.

1. I did find that by using the MME drivers I can get Guitar Rig 3 to recognize the JV as an input interface, and can get output through the sound card and the JV itself. But, Guitar Tracks Pro still doesn't pull any input from the JamVox at all. It doesn't matter which driver set I'm using.

The JV ASIO drivers aren't recognized by GR3, but are recognized by the JV software. I'm assuming that there is a proprietary hardware handshake in there that only the JV uses and makes the hardware unresponsive to other programs using the ASIO driver.

2. I discovered a problem with the Lexicon ASIO drivers by selecting it in GTP as the input device. Originally, I got nothing, just dead silence, no signal at all when I had the ASIO drivers selected. If I switched to the MME drivers for the Lexicon, I could get some very very weak signal that was totally masked by a very loud, persistent buzz. Nothing I did changed that.

After some research and hair pulling, I reinstalled the drivers for the Lexicon and for the JV. JV is back up and running fine, but when I try either of the Lexicon's drivers (ASIO or MME), I get the buzzing.

After even more research, it seems that this is a common problem with the Lexicon Omega, and many users have simply resorted to new USB interfaces to solve the problem. (One user even suggested Percussive Maintenance as a last resort by banging on the top of the thing until it either breaks or works.  :dontknow:)

So, I changed the title of the thread to reflect my new search for a good USB interface that can take both mics and 1/4" TRS cables and doesn't need phantom power. I've seen the M-audio interfaces at the local GC and think that might be the way to go.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

MikeW said:
So, I changed the title of the thread to reflect my new search for a good USB interface that can take both mics and 1/4" TRS cables and doesn't need phantom power. I've seen the M-audio interfaces at the local GC and think that might be the way to go.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

:icon_scratch: Ever thought about using Firewire.

I use a RME Fireface 400 ..... Great unit  :icon_thumright: (thats Firewire)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

These are RME USB ...
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php

Ummmm ..... M-Audio  :sad1:  :sad:  :laughing7:

Thanks Updown. I'll take a look at the USB ones. I wish I could go with a Firewire interface, but the computer I'm using is a bit older and doesn't have a FW port.

MikeW said:
I wish I could go with a Firewire interface, but the computer I'm using is a bit older and doesn't have a FW port.

You'll find that many of the newer ones don't have one, either. In spite of it being a superior interface, it never caught on like it should have because Apple mis-managed it. They demanded royalties on its use, so everybody got together and created a new standard to accomplish essentially the same thing but unencumbered by licensing issues. Now we all have the USB on everything.

Cagey said:
You'll find that many of the newer ones don't have one, either.

Sad, but very true.  Apple is sticking to its guns with Firewire, but it seems anything PC has all but abandoned it.
There was a time when digital camcorders required the speed of Firewire to do their transfers ... but even that has changed now with SD cards getting smaller, with more memory, and less expensive.

It seems the only way to get a Firewire port on a PC these days is to find a motherboard that is equipped, and build your own computer around it.

AndyG said:
It seems the only way to get a Firewire port on a PC these days is to find a motherboard that is equipped, and build your own computer around it.

Or just buy a PCI Firewire card.  20 - 25 bucks will get you one.

Bagman67 said:
Or just buy a PCI Firewire card.  20 - 25 bucks will get you one.

True ... however I personally have had less than good luck with aftermarket Firewire cards.
My studio computer has an ASUS motherboard with Firewire built in.  It just seems to work better for me.

But getting a Firewire card isn't an option for a laptop (to my knowledge).

You want a PCMCIA card to add Firewire to your laptop, probably:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pcmcia+firewire+card

PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms. They're like numbers. There's just too many of them. Kinda like thousandths of an inch. Everything tiny is measured that way! There must be millions of them!

My laptop has an Expresscard 34/54 slot.  I've never seen a device for it, but then again I've got 2 firewire ports built in too.

Back