Flush mount Floyds

ravenhaller

Quick Q - can Warmoth route for those of us that like our Floyd Roses flush mounted to the body, as opposed to recessed and floating?

Hmmm.... i'm not seeing 'top mount' as an option in the builder.

Edit - scratch this thread.  I just opened all the (?) links next to the routing options in the builder - it seems 'Floyd With Angled Pocket' is what i'm chasing...  the naming threw me off, nor did it occur to me that neck pocket would require extra relief to accommodate a flush mounted Floyd.

ravenhaller said:
nor did it occur to me that neck pocket would require extra relief to accommodate a flush mounted Floyd.

This is not unique to Warmoth bodies. Floyds are fairly tall bridges, so without recess, it is necessary to angle the neck pocket unless you like super high action.

Any idea what kind of angle we're talking about here?  Just wondering if i'll be able to slip this guitar into my regular strat hardcase, or if i'll have to buy a case to suit.

ravenhaller said:
Any idea what kind of angle we're talking about here?  Just wondering if i'll be able to slip this guitar into my regular strat hardcase, or if i'll have to buy a case to suit.

The larger angle Warmoth offers is 2 or 3 degrees, IIRC.

What does neck pocket angle have to do with case fitment?  :icon_scratch:

Well, I assume regular strat cases are designed to accommodate bog-stock bolt-on guitars designed over a flat, 2D, 180º plane.  Introduce an obtuse angle midway along the guitar and logic tells me a standard strat case isn't going to be the correct shoe to fit this Cinderella.

I wouldn't think the angle which is quite slight will make much difference to the case. Most of the have some give.

Yesterday I played with a different neck on my Tele. The original neck had one shim at the heel so I started there. The new neck was angled back too much to properly set up the action so I decided to fiddle with it later and put the guitar in the case. The tuners rested on the bottom of the case. Later I pulled the shim out and put it back in the case to see how it fit. The neck was supported properly in the case. My experience there is a couple of degrees can make a difference in how the guitar fits in the case. If it had needed the shim, I would have had to put a folded rag under the neck to lift the headstock high enough.

ravenhaller said:
Well, I assume regular strat cases are designed to accommodate bog-stock bolt-on guitars designed over a flat, 2D, 180º plane.  Introduce an obtuse angle midway along the guitar and logic tells me a standard strat case isn't going to be the correct shoe to fit this Cinderella.

Ah. Well, simple trigonometry tells me that the very tip of my Strat headstock would dip approximately an inch and a quarter, if the neck pocket were angled. That's hardly anything to worry about.

Back