First Warmoth build, I think I'm going to need some help

My question (and only because I can't tell from the pics) is whether it's a veneer or a drop-top. If it's a drop-top, sand away if you're not happy, although I think it looks marvelous as is. If it's a veneer, the risk of burning through it is really high.

Ned,

Its a drop top on the body with a dark laminate accent line. I was going for subtle on the accent line rather than contrasting, but both woods are so dark its just about invisible. The headstock is a thin veneer so there will be no monkey business with dye or pore filling up there.

Have made progress. Shellac on front slowly improving. I'm doing tru oil on the neck, back and sides. I was worried about the interface between the shellac only on the top and truoil around the sides and back, but they blend invisibly :
half way.jpg
Someone a few months ago posted a fabricated wood control cavity cover. I've never tried to make something like that, but the off cut of my koa top (which brother Spike included in the shipment) was just big enough and exactly the right thickness, so I had to take a shot.

cover.jpg

Looks kind of strange but I think better than black plastic.

Back