Custom Deluxe Reverb Build video series

rick2 said:
Shoot ... we don't use fettling like that, in the US I reckon we'd say adjustments.  Though we would use it as term of condition, like it's in good or fine fettle.  I guess we forgot.

Interestingly fettling to make corrections to something is derived from Northern England, which is where I am from. It must be in use in Canada also, but when I looked in Merriam Webster in the US you don't seem to have that definition of it at all as you mention...

And here's the next video!!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/zo-J5HiNRuc[/youtube]

and here's the video after that!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/-K6eCtGvW8Y[/youtube]

Thanks Phil!  Please put the links in any other forums you might belong to!

Mayfly, you are on the next level.  That was amazing.  Excellent job! :yourock:

Very cool series. I really enjoyed it and I hope there will be more like these.

Thank you!  As I suggested with Phil, please put the links up in any other guitar forum you might think there would be interest.

@mayfly just stumbled upon this and watched some of the vids. Were you re-creating a vintage DR or a reissued DR (DRRI)? How did it turn out in comparison to either of the two?

I was going for vintage with my own modifications (like bright switches on each channel). It turned out great - the happy owner uses it on gigs all the time.

Awesome. Very impressive work - I wish I'd have your electrical engineering skills. After I gave up on my Ceriatone plans, I'm currently in the market for a Deluxe Reverb but really can't decide between
a) real vintage - pro: real deal, con: $$$
b) reissue - pro: realish deal, con: realish deal
c) Tonemaster - pro: max flexibility, con: digital again (I'm already a Kemper owner)

Many say there's barely any audible difference between b) and c), others say you can feel/hear the tubes. No idea what I'll be going for - will likely be a gut decision. Or I'll just hire you haha

I had a reissue and it sounded just fine. I did eventually make several modifications to it however.
Think of it as a really loud and portable pedal platform :)

I had a reissue and it sounded just fine. I did eventually make several modifications to it however.
Think of it as a really loud and portable pedal platform :)
Lol. Yeah, the loudness is one of the main arguments pro tone master where you can adjust the wattage...

Which kind of pedals did you run through it?

Back then I used a matchless hotbox with a deluxe electric mistress. And I used a power soak. I was not after a clean tone...

Shortly thereafter I got into making my own amps and settled on a modified AC30 design. This became the Mayfly BC30.

Back