Body Blank sized for LP?

AegParm

Hello!

I'm working on my first project not using a precut body but still using pre-routed pickup and neck cutout's of Warmoth's custom body blanks.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but it seems like the body blanks are too short for a typical LP shape? I'm seeing body lengths of 17 to 17.5" where the lower portion of the body blank where the neck pocket starts is only 16", and the neck pocked is a bit more recessed from that too.

What makes me feel crazy is that when adjusting the Regal shape to size based on neck pocket width, the Regal also appears to be longer than the body blank, longer than the LP by a fraction of an inch. Perhaps it uses a different starting material? Or am I just really bad at measuring?

Thank you!

First question: what plan are you following?
I used measurements from my Les Paul classic body and then used the pdf for the body outline from Electric Herald, scaled to size, to mock it up against the W routed body blank measurements.

My goal is to make a double cut LP, so I was going to mirror the smaller horn sides on the top to start.

Hey there!

It sounds like you're diving into an exciting project! It's not uncommon for custom body blanks to have slightly different dimensions, especially if they're from different manufacturers like Warmoth. Double-checking your measurements and comparing them to the specifications provided by Warmoth could help clarify any discrepancies. Happy building!

The body blanks Warmoth sells are based on blanks and routing for Tele or Strat / Soloist cavities. A rear rout option has a different shaped cavity than an LP or Regal. Trying to do an LP based build with pre routed blank for a different design would not be the best starting point. You might be better off going with no routs at all.

Hey there!

It sounds like you're diving into an exciting project! It's not uncommon for custom body blanks to have slightly different dimensions, especially if they're from different manufacturers like Warmoth. Double-checking your measurements and comparing them to the specifications provided by Warmoth could help clarify any discrepancies. Happy building!
Howdy! Definitely, that was how I came up with the uncertainty of the Warmoth's body blanks working for an LP size body, but I was confused since their Regal body also wouldn't seem to fit their blanks.

The body blanks Warmoth sells are based on blanks and routing for Tele or Strat / Soloist cavities. A rear rout option has a different shaped cavity than an LP or Regal. Trying to do an LP based build with pre routed blank for a different design would not be the best starting point. You might be better off going with no routs at all.
That makes sense about the blanks being routed for the Fender type bodies and that the cavity wouldn't fit! Glad I didn't go down this route too quickly or I would have been very disappointed!

Thanks everyone!

Back