1st Jazz Bass (Neck)

Zibob

So I did say I would post pics of the parts when they arrived. I have had the neck for a few days and the camera was not charged so I was just admiring the work. I really blows me away. This is my first Warmoth build and quite an adventurous one seeing as I only own one bass and decided to go and make the second one from Warmoth parts and top notch bright work. So I will finish this in a bit here are the pics:
5479919826_b2d718607b.jpg

Full Size

5479918790_479a45d556.jpg

Full Size

5479917612_59d0924926.jpg

Full Size

5479315677_5fea2f8304.jpg

Full Size

So back to my rambling. As I was saying this is my first Warmoth and my second bass so a bit of a jump from my cheepo beater P-Bass copy. It all started in my local music shop where i laid my eyes on what I believed to be the most beautiful bass I ever did see. Fender American standard Jazz Bass. Plain wood body with a clear finish, white pick guard and a maple/rosewood neck. It was up for 1800 Euro to which I promptly thought not a chance you swindling f... people. So I went back every week for about 2 months it was not selling (I wonder why) then it hit me I could build the bass with far superior parts and at almost half the price. So after a bit of dreaming, a lot of back and forward over the specifics and some ordering later I am recreating that bass in my image.

I settled on pau ferro for the fretboard for it's being lighter in colour than rosewood and after some searching and reading here it's tonal qualities. There happened to be 3 maple/pau ferro jazz bass necks in the showcase. 2 were standard maple and th last one was labeled as standard maple with "Bonus flame figure". After initially thinking it was not what I wanted for my clear vision I changed my mind at the last minute and bought the flame figure one (plus it was not any extra over the standard maple ones). So after a surprisingly short wait and much second guessing over my decision it's here and it is stunning. It looks like straight flame maple to me and everyone I show it to so I will stick with calling it so :). It is finished in Warmoth's clear satin nitro with cream face dots. I am still absolutely staggered by how good it looks.

That is all for now but in a few weeks the body will arrive.

EDIT: I forgot the specs.
Flame maple/Pau Ferro
GraphTech White TUSQ
Jazz Bass 1 1/2" Nut Width
21 frets
Stainless Steel 6115 Frets
Drilled for BML Tuners
Cream Face Dots
Clear Satin Nitro Finish
Slim Taper Back

That's a lot of flame for just being "bonus flame maple!" Very nice. That fretboard is amazing, too. I can't wait to see the finished product here!

This is indeed high praise. I was proud of it too but this really knocks it into a bit of perspective. Thanks. I really cannot wait to finish it now. :icon_biggrin:

Surprises, surprises. I will post it up when it gets here in about a week or two.

EDIT: It arrived 2 weeks early :headbang: so I will probably get the pics up tomorrow.

Back