Your influences

Sadie-f said:
More recently, my fav musician is Amanda Palmer, I've been able to see her Dresden Dolls shows more than a few times.

I know!!  Isn't she awesome?  She's out there doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

She scares me.  I love her.  :)

Mayfly said:
Sadie-f said:
More recently, my fav musician is Amanda Palmer, I've been able to see her Dresden Dolls shows more than a few times.

I know!!  Isn't she awesome?  She's out there doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

She scares me.  I love her.  :)

Dang, scares? Elaborate? ... I mean she scares me a little too, however I like that in a woman.

I've rubbed elbows with Amanda, wish I could say that was as "friends", alas, just some social crossover.

Its cool 'n all, but anytime someone cites hendrix as an influence i just wanna take a nap. where are my robert fripps (more like Robert Riffs), tosin abasi, Ron jarzombek, fred firth, omar rodriguez, and mike keneally bros at? life can be moer than the kinda blues and/or blues rock that clogs up 1000 petabytes of bedroom youtube noodlers. FYI afaik Hendrix never had a #1 download lol no offense, mad respect for the guy, rip 'n all that stuff. But my dudes, Hit up my caffinated+carbonated BBQ (short for barbecues) sauce and start Tokyo Drifting through life and your next audioventure (portmanteau of audio, like sound, and adventure)

BroccoliRob said:
Its cool 'n all, but anytime someone cites hendrix as an influence i just wanna take a nap. where are my robert fripps (more like Robert Riffs), tosin abasi, Ron jarzombek, fred firth, omar rodriguez, and mike keneally bros at? life can be moer than the kinda blues and/or blues rock that clogs up 1000 petabytes of bedroom youtube noodlers. FYI afaik Hendrix never had a #1 download lol no offense, mad respect for the guy, rip 'n all that stuff. But my dudes, Hit up my caffinated+carbonated BBQ (short for barbecues) sauce and start Tokyo Drifting through life and your next audioventure (portmanteau of audio, like sound, and adventure)

I'm with you Sir Rob Broc (that's what I call you in my head),

Hendrix was an influence to anyone who knows how to spell the word guitar. Too the point, you can't consider him an influence (unless you are in a cover band for him). While 2 of the greatest guitar songs (Wind Cries Mary, Axis Bold as Love) are there, I just took much other stuff. I mean peeps copy the H all the time, because they can (some even pretty well). Every heard someone try to copy Jeff Beck?

Again this thread was meant to be about, while you were influenced by players, your style is interpreted differently, and been likened to some other "famous" player that was never an influence on you.

Do you explore that other player to further exploit what they have done (as that is who you have been identified as like)?

I get what you're trying to say about your motivation for the  post. But how about let it take people where they emotionally want to be. This is a wonderful topic and has many interesting posts . It's open people's thoughts of there musical foundation.
I know it's got me thinking back to the beginning and why I started to play. My inspiration and his musical style aren't groundbreaking . I can't say I enjoyed everything he played or recorded . I can say I enjoyed his playing overall because I respected the person and the dedication to his music.
Do I sound like him ? I never asked myself that but it's a good question . I'd say yes because we both liked the same amplification and effects in general. I've had a few say ( hey you sound like Ernie tonight ) yes because I'm trying to out of respect .
Chet Atkins was close to death sitting on stage with Tommy Emmanuel . Tommy played and Chet said stop showing off , Tommy said I'm showing you off .
If I'm playing and something Stevie Ray comes across I know it's Hendrix's influence on him.
Hey to the person that said they want to take a nap when someone says Hendrix was an influence. Man you have think roots of what we do. That doesn't mean you have to love what he did but you should respect the door he opened for you .

On Hendrix, bear in mind my musical journey began in the early 60s. So yes he actually was an influence and I do use at times some of the elements of his playing in mine, even though in some cases it may not be obvious. If that makes you want to take a nap, go ahead.

And on whether or not your style or playing has been likened to someone you did not consider an influence that has happened also, but it is no more than someone trying to say oh this is like that. I have also had people say you look just like x or y celebrity which I don't. But really threads go where they go.

TBurst Std said:
Every heard someone try to copy Jeff Beck?

yes and no.

Are you familiar with the "Nuggets" album/set?

It is several volume collection of American "garage band",  small label and one-hit wonder songs from various artists from ~'65 to '68.
One of the BIGGEST influences on a lot of these bands, even more than the Beatles and the Stones was the Jeff Beck era Yardbirds.

Now the guitarists aren't getting all that close to Jeff's thing, but they are definitely doing their best.

The thing I love about Hadley Hockensmith/Abe Laboriel (and Bill Maxwell) isn't the stuff they do on their own, though it's lovely. It's the magic they create underneath more pedestrian constraints. Throw a 3 chord driving 8th note tune in front of these guys, and all that talent starts leaking out of corners.

On Jeff Beck, great player.

The late Michael Casswell did a good job of getting close.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBeGv-SyJrk
[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNmfE9albU4[/youtube]

Back