Wizard Warping??? AM I OK???

dmraco

Master Member
I just ordered my second build and have a question about neck stability.

I ordered the Wizard neck contour in a Warmoth Pro neck.  IS THIS NECK ANY LESS STABLE THAN THE STANDARD THIN?  I ordered it in maple with a rosewood fingerboard.  Should I have any concerns???  The standard thin is OK but the wizard has a similar contour to me CHARVEL.  My Charvel has been fine and I suspect the Warmoth will be too...I am just seeking opintions fro m the board.

Thanks

dmraco said:
I just ordered my second build and have a question about neck stability.

I ordered the Wizard neck contour in a Warmoth Pro neck.  IS THIS NECK ANY LESS STABLE THAN THE STANDARD THIN?  I ordered it in maple with a rosewood fingerboard.  Should I have any concerns???  The standard thin is OK but the wizard has a similar contour to me CHARVEL.  My Charvel has been fine and I suspect the Warmoth will be too...I am just seeking opintions fro m the board.

Thanks

I am not going to be too helpful, but I would be blown away if you have any problems with anything if you have the double truss rods

double expanding truss rod that runs the whole length of the neck, it should be fine.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=truss_rods

I really wouldn't think Warmoth would continue to offer that contour if they had lots of problems with it....Seems logical right.... :dontknow:

Necks can warp in a variety of ways.

There is the up/down warping that can be mitigated with a "truss rod".  More on that later...

Necks can take a bend sideways (Ralph and Larry).

And necks can twist or corkscrew.

Or, more commonly, they can do a combination.  Imagine... for example... in 1974 a Les Paul Custom "fretless wonder", whose neck bent backwards away from the strings, even with a slack truss rod, bent downward toward the floor - so the high E at fret 22 was "just" on the binding nub, but fret 10 and 11 were off the side of the neck!, and that corkscrewed clockwise as well, such that the nut was about 5 degrees out of line with being straight with the body.   Ouch.  Gibson said - NON-WARRANTY on a 2 year old guitar with a "lifetime" warranty (as they had at that time).

Truss rods correct for string pull, but not for the various maladies that can happen to the wood itself.

Speaking of truss rods... for years Warmoth had double expanding truss ruds, and touted that they need no seasonal adjustment.   Now they got the same rods, with adjusters on the sides for easy seasonal adjustment.   Sorta makes me curious about that whole thing.

-CB- said:

There is the up/down warping that can be mitigated with a "truss rod".  More on that later...

Or, more commonly, they can do a combination.  Imagine... for example... a 1974 Les Paul Custom "fretless wonder", whose neck bent backwards away from the strings, even with a slack truss rod, bent downward toward the floor - so the high E at fret 22 was "just" on the binding nub, but fret 10 and 11 were off the side of the neck!, and that corkscrewed clockwise as well, such that the nut was about 5 degrees out of line with being straight with the body.  Ouch.  Gibson said - NON-WARRANTY on a 2 year old guitar with a "lifetime" warranty (as they had at that time).

Truss rods correct for string pull, but not for the various maladies that can happen to the wood itself.

Speaking of truss rods... for years Warmoth had double expanding truss ruds, and touted that they need no seasonal adjustment.  Now they got the same rods, with adjusters on the sides for easy seasonal adjustment.  Sorta makes me curious about that whole thing.
I would have drove to Nashville and lit the damn thing on fire at thier doorstep.....

DangerousR6 said:
I would have drove to Nashville and lit the damn thing on fire at thier doorstep.....

I would put fire on it too, but not exactly let in their doorstep!  :evil4:
:laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
DangerousR6 said:

Why not? Let them see exactly how I felt about thier crappy guitar, that they wouldn't stand behind....F' 'em.  3 G's for a guitar and they don't have the balls to fess up and cover a warranty issued problem.....Hell I'd even be apt to light the sob on fire and launch it  thru a window..... :laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
I was thinking in try to follow the Vlad Teps line instead of put it in their door :icon_biggrin:
You talking about bodies on spikes...... :icon_biggrin:

dmraco,

I've got six Warmoth necks and all of them have the wizard contour and I've never had any problems with any of them. I think you'll be fine.

Chris_Lohmann said:
dmraco,

I've got six Warmoth necks and all of them have the wizard contour and I've never had any problems with any of them. I think you'll be fine.

thats is what I wanted to hear...My last warmoth had a fat contour, but I have grown so acustomed to my Charvel, anything else seems HUGE!  I did not think it would be a problem but I wanted to make sure the experience was good here.  My Charvel is almost 20 years years old and only need adjustment once.  I take good care of the guitars and use Silica Gel in the cases to help with moisture problems

DangerousR6 said:
-CB- said:

Or, more commonly, they can do a combination.  Imagine... for example... a 1974 Les Paul Custom "fretless wonder", whose neck bent backwards away from the strings, even with a slack truss rod, bent downward toward the floor - so the high E at fret 22 was "just" on the binding nub, but fret 10 and 11 were off the side of the neck!, and that corkscrewed clockwise as well, such that the nut was about 5 degrees out of line with being straight with the body.   Ouch.  Gibson said - NON-WARRANTY on a 2 year old guitar with a "lifetime" warranty (as they had at that time).

Speaking of truss rods... for years Warmoth had double expanding truss ruds, and touted that they need no seasonal adjustment.   Now they got the same rods, with adjusters on the sides for easy seasonal adjustment.   Sorta makes me curious about that whole thing.
I was young, the guitar was mine - warped in six months, and when they refused to fix it, I sold it at a loss.  Part of my early hatred of the Les Paul.

DangerousR6 said:
NonsenseTele said:
DangerousR6 said:

Why not? Let them see exactly how I felt about thier crappy guitar, that they wouldn't stand behind....F' 'em.  3 G's for a guitar and they don't have the balls to fess up and cover a warranty issued problem.....Hell I'd even be apt to light the sob on fire and launch it  thru a window..... :laughing7:

Not  $3g's back then.  I paid $695 for it, new, with case, the going "Sam Ash" price, in their Huntington Station NY store (I think that was 40 percent off "list" on the guitar and case combined).

A new "American" Strat with case was like $350 + tax. Early 60's Strats were $200-250 in pawn shops; early 60's LPs $400-450

-CB- said:
DangerousR6 said:
NonsenseTele said:
DangerousR6 said:

Not  $3g's back then.  I paid $695 for it, new, with case, the going "Sam Ash" price, in their Huntington Station NY store (I think that was 40 percent off "list" on the guitar and case combined).

What year was that, 1972?...... :laughing11:

jackthehack said:
A new "American" Strat with case was like $350 + tax. Early 60's Strats were $200-250 in pawn shops; early 60's LPs $400-450

Yah it was 72.  I paid $186 for the Telecaster, plus $36 for the hardshell case....just as a comparison to the LP

-CB- said:
jackthehack said:

Yah it was 72.  I paid $186 for the Telecaster, plus $36 for the hardshell case....just as a comparison to the LP
Hahahahaha.....that was a total shot in the dark..... :icon_biggrin:

-CB- said:
jackthehack said:

I was referring to '74, specifically

Back