Wiring options for VW

riverbluff

I am getting ready to start wiring this thing up and I have a question.

3291579848_eeffa1f788_b.jpg

I am planning on using a 3 way switch, but should I go 1 vol 2 tone or 2 Vol 1 tone?

I have alway had LP or single Vol/Tone controls.  I would think that single vol/2 tone is more versitle. 

What say you all?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Woo..............nice guitar.

I would go for Vol-Tone-Tone seeing that it has a Strat control layout which really makes volume swells with the pinky a very useable feature.

I would go 2 volume 1 tone in both humbucker mode you can turn one bucker turned down or something like that and the tone is of course a master tone.

get a volume/tone concentric pot for each pickup and then a MASTER GAIN KNOB :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:!!!

I'm totally joking... if you get two volumes and a master tone, than you can turn one volume down a bit and have an automatic boost when you hit the pickup switch... really nice for live situations. You can also use the switch as a killswitch when a vol knob is rolled down to 0.

This is just what I find useful. I hardly ever use a tone knob, so I would just have one master tone... or seriously go with a black ice or a midboost or some fancy crap like that... All I need is a pickup selector switch and a pair of volumes,  or a master volume and a pickup blend, when it comes to two humbuckers.

I had a vol/vol/tone on my VIP, but switched it to vol/tone/tone.  I'm one of those people that actually uses their tone knobs.  I set the neck pickup up so that it sounds great, but then the bridge is usually a little thin and ice picky.  Solution, roll the bridge tone down to 7 or 8.  Works great, sounds great, must be great.

Just my $0.02...

Rose

You could go Master Volume - Master Tone - Coil Split pot using a double ganged pot.  When you turn down you it would short out one of the coils on each pickup which would give you more tonal options.

Again, alot of this depends on the pickups your using... I don't usually use a tone knob, because I tend to choose pickups that are already warm and not overly bright, trebly, harsh, or for any reason in need of lots of tone moderating...

If your using a JB in the bridge or something similar, I would suggest two tone knobs, or one for the harshest pickup...

So what pickups are you using?

I did 2v 2t for my guitar. I did 2 vol and then used a concentric pot for the 2 tones. worked out great I think. Altough the guitar was for my dad he doesn't really use the tones to much but I am sure if they weren't there he would miss them. If you don't want to go the concentric pot route I think I would do 1v 2t I think one volume makes it easier when you are switching pickups in the middle of  the song to keep the volumes matched.

Back