Wiring is kicking my butt!

voxic

I've redone the wiring twice now and I can't kick the buzzing sound. Video is of me turning the tone pot up and down. Assuming it's bad grounding?

It's super prominent when I turn up the tone pot, all the way down and it's fine, all the way up and it's very loud. Holding other knobs will also reduce the sound.

Guitar has two volumes, one tone, and two 3-way mini toggles. Output Jack is connected to the tone. I USED to think I was pretty good at soldering but alas trying to fit all the wiring from the two 4-conductor Seymour Duncan pups and the pushback wire into those two mini toggles might be shoddy work, but I really thought I nailed it this time. Cavity has cooper tape, but I didn't run any copper tape in the pickup cavities if that matters

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I7shLqZbgkSa6Dx-OjmwS5JMt3EenRi5

Perhaps the tone pot has been damaged with all of the soldering. It certainly is noisy but it is difficult to say as there is nothing to see.

Detailed pictures of the wiring would be helpful in trying to help diagnose the issue. And a copy of the schematic you used, if you used a schematic. When you say you've re-done the wiring twice, what does that entail? Removing all wires and the capacitor but keeping the pots and switches? Replacing everything and going from scratch?

Sorry I meant I started from scratch with new pots and new toggles and new wires new capacitor etc. I posted a link to the Google share that has the photos

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I7shLqZbgkSa6Dx-OjmwS5JMt3EenRi5

-VB- said:
Detailed pictures of the wiring would be helpful in trying to help diagnose the issue. And a copy of the schematic you used, if you used a schematic. When you say you've re-done the wiring twice, what does that entail? Removing all wires and the capacitor but keeping the pots and switches? Replacing everything and going from scratch?

I thought maybe that could be the case My first time around as I haven’t soldered in a few years so I was a bit rusty. But I bought all new pots and switches this time around and was pretty gentle with the heat. I updated the post with a link to pictures

stratamania said:
Perhaps the tone pot has been damaged with all of the soldering. It certainly is noisy but it is difficult to say as there is nothing to see.

I did make a mistake with the second switch compared to the wiring diagram that I am going to fix today. But I didn’t think that would cause the buzzing issue just a functionality issue with the pickup selection

Ok so fixing the accidental reverse wiring I had at the bottom of switch 2 at DID fix the loud buzz that was happening at all times even when not playing. Now it just buzzes a bit when when playing notes but It's not as pronounced, but still annoying. Again, tone all the way down produces no buzz. Maybe I should redo and cleanup the switch wiring...

Ugh. I rewired the switches pretty well this time. There isn't a huge buzz when not playing like before but there's lots of buzz, noise and pops etc when playing. So frustrated.

Back