Wiring diagram request

TBurst Std

Ok , got a thought in my head for a 513 style build. The plan is for 5 single coils with 4 of them tapped. The outer 2 on each end being paired together.

Here’s the diagram I need: a 3 way switch that controls those 2 pairs so that they have options of:
1 both coils in each pair tapped
2 both coils in each pain untapped
3 selecting a single (outer) coil untapped

The pickup switching will be handled by a separate 5 way in typical strat fashion.

Is this the item referred to?

PRS 513

What pickups would you plan to use, and do you have the wiring details for them?

Apparently the PRS 513 used a specific 3 way switch which is not likely to be readily available. A normal 3 way would not work.

The 3 way switch can be seen here.

First, the components to be used need to be specific, as a wiring diagram alone is just one part of the equation.

Last edited:
Yes, And I know it’s proprietary. Regardless, the ability to use:

1: two full coil leads
2: two tapped coil leads
3: one full coil lead

Is not beyond our grasp. I’m not looking for individual control of the 2 pairs. One operation controlling and setting the state of them together is fine.

Let me think on this. I'm sure we can come up with something. First some questions (just confirmation about what you're visualizing):

0 - the pickups are all single coils? Not two humbuckers on either end and a single in the middle?
1 - regarding these 5 pickup coils: The two on the bridge side are kinda paired together humbucker style? same with the two on the neck side? That took me a second to get, but I think that's what you mean - right?
2 - when you talk about tapping these coils, you're not actually tapping the pickups themselves, but the 'virtual' tap that would be there in a humbucker?
3 - the 5 way strat pickup selector switch selects between 'three' virtual pickups: the two paired together at the neck, the middle one, and the two paired together at the bridge? That is, you're looking for the following selections with the 5 way switch:
position 1 (neck): neck pair of coils, (hereby referred to as neck-pair :))
Position 2 : neck-pair+middle,
Position 3: middle,
Position 4: middle+bridge-pair,
Position 5 (bridge): bridge-pair.
Is that right?
4 - does the three way switch override the 5 way switch? For the first two positions, it's just doing the coil tap thing which should be no problem. But the third portion (selecting a single (outer) coil untapped), do you require this to ignore the 5 way switch and just give you the full humbucker-type sound no matter what?
5 - and, this is just confirming the terminology: when I've been saying the word 'tapped' I imagine just one coil in a humbucker operational, with the other coil grounded. Here, 'untapped' would mean that both coils are active. Just confirming to make sure I am in alignment with your thoughts.

When I say tapped, I mean tapped. So just tossing out numbers. The neck pair are wound to say 7k each with both of them individually tapped to say 4K each.

The 3 way only controls the 2 pairs and impacts whether the paired coils are full, both both tapped, or a single coil (of the pair) full.

The 5 way only controls which pickup is selected.

As an example let’s consider only the bridge pair, In 1 setting you have 2 single coils each with their full 7k wind acting like a humbucker at 14k The next setting is the same, but both coils are tapped 4K acting like a humbucker at 8k. The final mode is 1 coil at 7k.

ok I think I got it. It took me a bit to realize that you can get tapped single coil pickups these days. Though if they are tap-able, they are not exactly single coils any more are they?:unsure:

Expect a schematic in a bit. I'll need to know what pickups you're planning on using to convert it to a wiring diagram.

Is not beyond our grasp. I’m not looking for individual control of the 2 pairs.

It is not beyond the grasp of members who choose to help but I see more information has now been asked for and provided.

One operation controlling and setting the state of them together is fine.

Regardless, that still requires something other than a normal 3 way blade switch, which can be difficult to source.

Here is a 4 pole 3 way switch and I see @mayfly has already done the diagram.

Now you just need the pickups and a five way switch.

Well right now I’m trying to justify the build. Have a lead on one of those mythical flake strats

Groovy. I've got one coming as well. I also don't have a 'typical' build in mind :)

Back