Will 3/8" matter for intonation on a neck

Heft

I am looking at using a Musikraft 24 fret, 24.75" neck on a warmoth body. They have told me it will work, but I'm sceptacle. My measurements show there will be about 1/4" off at the 12'th and 3/8" over all difference compared to my Warmoth 24.75 conversion necks.
Will this matter?
Heft

It would be better to provide more information or a link when asking questions.

Perhaps it may work on the 7/8 body, but a Musikraft 24 fret neck will not work as a conversion neck on a standard body meant for 25.5" scale based on Musikraft's published information.

This would be similar to a Warmoth 7/8 neck will not work as a conversion neck on a body meant for 25.5" scale.

Last edited:
The 24.75 conversion neck that both Warmoth and Musikraft sell are designed to work on 22 fret bodies and will intonate properly.

24 frets is an entirely different ball game. Warmoth has published the methodology for how the 24 fret, 24.75" '7/8 Warhead' necks and bodies are designed. Musikraft specifically says that you will need a 24 fret body for their 24 fret necks to work but they also do not publish how they derived the 24 fret neck such that it could be compared easily to verify the methodology is compatible or even in the range of compatibility.

Since I have recently gone down this rabbit hole for myself, I can provide some of my findings in this matter.

Wamoth says that the 7/8 Warhead design is a a standard Fender style neck shaft with 24 frets overlaid on the fretboard with an overhang to make the 24th fret fit. This mean that the measurement from the face of the nut to the butt should be about 18-27/64" then the overhang is beyond that by a 1/4" of an inch or so. This is the measurement that will need to be confirmed with Musikraft. HOWEVER this only applies to the 7/8 warhead neck and body not any of the other offerings from Warmoth or Muiskraft.

Hopefully this helps.

PS to answer the question in the thread title, Yes 3/8" is way more than enough to matter for intonation.

The 24.75 conversion neck that both Warmoth and Musikraft sell are designed to work on 22 fret bodies and will intonate properly.

24 frets is an entirely different ball game. Warmoth has published the methodology for how the 24 fret, 24.75" '7/8 Warhead' necks and bodies are designed. Musikraft specifically says that you will need a 24 fret body for their 24 fret necks to work but they also do not publish how they derived the 24 fret neck such that it could be compared easily to verify the methodology is compatible or even in the range of compatibility.

Since I have recently gone down this rabbit hole for myself, I can provide some of my findings in this matter.

Wamoth says that the 7/8 Warhead design is a a standard Fender style neck shaft with 24 frets overlaid on the fretboard with an overhang to make the 24th fret fit. This mean that the measurement from the face of the nut to the butt should be about 18-27/64" then the overhang is beyond that by a 1/4" of an inch or so. This is the measurement that will need to be confirmed with Musikraft. HOWEVER this only applies to the 7/8 warhead neck and body not any of the other offerings from Warmoth or Muiskraft.

Hopefully this helps.

PS to answer the question in the thread title, Yes 3/8" is way more than enough to matter for intonation.
I'm good to get a 7/8 body and position the bridge manually right?

Last edited:
Musikraft specifically says that you will need a 24 fret body for their 24 fret necks to work but they also do not publish how they derived the 24 fret neck such that it could be compared easily to verify the methodology is compatible or even in the range of compatibility.

See Learn More, number of frets at their website.

24-fret necks have a standard overhang of 0.3” (7.62 mm) and you can choose between a fingerboard end that is rounded – for the Strat® style – or one that is squared off – for the Carvel, Tele and Banana 2 styles.

If that holds true for both a conversion neck (that will intonate on a standard Warmoth body) and a 24 fret shorter scale 24 3/4" that is possible it may intonate on the 7/8 body.

But a 25.5" 24 fret neck would need a 24 fret body from Musikraft.

The overhang length is irrelevant to the discussion because the critical dimension is the nut face to butt of the neck shaft. I have searched all over Musikraft's site to try to find the info about their necks and they are not as thoroughly documented as Warmoth.

The overhang length is irrelevant to the discussion because the critical dimension is the nut face to butt of the neck shaft. I have searched all over Musikraft's site to try to find the info about their necks and they are not as thoroughly documented as Warmoth.

I fully agree, but from the drawings if a 24 fret 24 3/4" neck has such an overhang it can be extrapolated that it will be similar to a Warmoth 7/8 which also has a similar overhang. This is why I said it is possible or may work in such a situation rather than it will work. I choose my verbs carefully.

I don't think Warmoth has published measurements either for how far it is from the nut to the butt of the neck heel either. But in general, there is more information on the Warmoth site.

@Heft these are the measurements you ought to ask Musikraft for and also then confirm with Warmoth sales.

Back