Wilkinson VS100 w/Warmoth Headstock Tuning Stability?

DustyCat

Would appreciate your experiences regarding the tuning stability of the Wilkinson VS100 with the 3+3 Warmoth headstock w/Graphtech TUSQ nut.

The body I have is routed for the Wilky and I'm down with the Warmoth aesthetic, but I absolutely need tuning stability.

Thanks!

I would suggest you need to pick one the priority of tuning stability or the 3 * 3 aesthetic.

Without a lock nut you need the straightest string pull possible which means a 6 in line straight headstock from those that Warmoth offer.

Personally, I like the Tiltback Strat headstock, as it allows a straight line from nut to tuner, and has consistent break angle over the nut.  A local shop made me a Delrin nut with slightly closer spacing, allowing a little more meat at the fretboard edge.  This combined with a Gotoh 510 trem provides better tuning stability than another setup I have with a Wilky VS100 and LSR nut.

And others who have used tiltback headstocks have not been able to achieve the tuning stability they were looking for.

Other things to bear in mind are use staggered locking tuners, and do not use string trees.

stratamania said:
And others who have used tiltback headstocks have not been able to achieve the tuning stability they were looking for.

Other things to bear in mind are use staggered locking tuners, and do not use string trees.

Thanks for the advice. Tuning stability is of the utmost importance.

The plan is  to go:
Warhead headstock
Gibson conversion (24.75")

The body was already routed for the VS100.

My Luthier likes to use the bar across the headstock instead of string trees.
Will I be okay with Planet Waves Tuners (love the auto trim) and TUSQ nut?
I've never used Wilkinson before.

Why even use bars across the headstock? It is just another needless point of friction. I would advise not to use them and if the "luthier" insists find another one.

Tusq works well as do LSRs. I personally would not use the Planet Waves Auto trim as they are not staggered. Staggered tuners are what is needed to eliminate string trees.

stratamania said:

I don't disagree.  I think the difference for me was having a custom nut done by a shop who knew what they were doing.  From what the luthier said (not sure if that's the appropriate term here), the nut slots have to be cut differently...not sure what that means.

Back