Which direction?

Hello to all and thanks in advance,
I just finished putting together my first guitar kit from SM. I was not very happy with the overall quality of the kit. Anyway, I'm looking forward to assembling one from Warmoth. I have the neck, now it's time for the body and electronics. I' interested in the tele body. I believe I have narrow it down to the PT 8823. Since it's my first one, I'm not really sure what specific routing I should get. Also, your thoughts on pick-ups. I'm primarily a jazz player. Excuse my ignorance, but we all have to start somewhere.

That’s a lovely tele body! Like Stratamania said it’s routed for tele pickups. The neck pickup you could have changed for a humbucker or P90, but it would probably be best to stick with the tele style bridge pickup.

As far as I’m aware, most jazz players use low output humbuckers. The tele pickups that this body is routed for a going to be bright/twangy/snappy and probably not the best fit for a jazz sound.

I’d do yourself a favor and go to a guitar store and play various guitars to figure out what kind of pickups you like the sound of

I have the neck, now it's time for the body and electronics.

What neck do you have?

Also, your thoughts on pick-ups. I'm primarily a jazz player.

I just wired up my first Warmoth build yesterday. It's a chambered body Telecaster, black korina on black korina with an f-hole. I couldn't be happier. My pickups of choice were the TV Jones Starwood Telecasters. I'm blown away by the versatility of this setup. I was going for a sort of "anti-Tele" Tele. As much as I love the traditional old school trebly Tele "twang", I wanted something a bit more meaty, hollow, and mellow. It can still "twang", but it can certainly produce some convincing "jazz" tones as well. I must say, however, that jazz guitar tone is not something that is set in stone. The neck is roasted flame maple with an ebony fingerboard, 1-3/4 nut, standard thin profile, narrow/tall SS frets.

Anyway ... I guess my point is that there is no reason you can't play jazz on a Tele - even a bone stock one. However, if I was you, I might be looking at a chambered construction and possibly mahogany/korina for the core wood.

My initial tests were done through a Supro/Keeley Custom 12 with no effects. Later, I kicked in the J Rockett "Boing" reverb through the effects loop. Very nice, indeed.

Attachments

• Tele Back.jpg
    Tele Back.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Tele Front.jpg
    Tele Front.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 12
What neck do you have?

I just wired up my first Warmoth build yesterday. It's a chambered body Telecaster, black korina on black korina with an f-hole. I couldn't be happier. My pickups of choice were the TV Jones Starwood Telecasters. I'm blown away by the versatility of this setup. I was going for a sort of "anti-Tele" Tele. As much as I love the traditional old school trebly Tele "twang", I wanted something a bit more meaty, hollow, and mellow. It can still "twang", but it can certainly produce some convincing "jazz" tones as well. I must say, however, that jazz guitar tone is not something that is set in stone. The neck is roasted flame maple with an ebony fingerboard, 1-3/4 nut, standard thin profile, narrow/tall SS frets.

Anyway ... I guess my point is that there is no reason you can't play jazz on a Tele - even a bone stock one. However, if I was you, I might be looking at a chambered construction and possibly mahogany/korina for the core wood.

My initial tests were done through a Supro/Keeley Custom 12 with no effects. Later, I kicked in the J Rockett "Boing" reverb through the effects loop. Very nice, indeed.
The hardware on the guitar is beautiful. I bought the neck from a guy that needed money, so I got a great deal. I Spoke to a rep in Warmouth and the value is $500. It's a tele neck, the feel just melts in your hand. I'm still tossed up with the pick ups.

It's a tele neck, the feel just melts in your hand. I'm still tossed up with the pick ups.

Post some pics etc. What hardware do you have planned if you go for this rear rout body.

I would be leaning now more towards the option of having the neck pickup routed for a neck humbucker. Because a neck humbucker works well for jazz and if mounted in a pickup ring looks correct rather than a Tele neck pickup either with no ring or with one that to me always look like an afterthought on a rear rout T style.

Leave the bridge pickup rout as is though, as any over routing does not get rid of the existing rout entirely and it will look bad, especially on such an expensive body.

I would put a Lil 59 pickup in the bridge. It does not need to be from Warmoth, but here is a link.

For the bridge pickup, Seymour Duncan Jazz.

I am not sure what the neck looks like, but possibly lean towards a gold covered neck humbucker for the SD Jazz. Gold hardware overall and a black pickup mounting ring for the neck humbucker.

A black pickup ring for a neck humbucker will tie in well aesthetically with the black colour of the Little 59 for Tele. To really tie it in, if going for gold hardware as an alternative to the Lil 59 for tele, you could order from Seymour Duncan Custom shop a Pearly Gates for Tele with gold screws.

What neck do you have?

I'm curious, where did you get the hardware from?

I'm curious, where did you get the hardware from?

The engraved pieces are made by Gotoh.

I think I ordered the control plate and neck plate from Antique Electronic Supply ...
...and the bridge from The Stratosphere ...

Edit: I forgot to mention that the brass knobs and switch tip came from Armadillo Guitar ...
... props to Michael Slotboom for answering some questions via email about a Tele bridge I was in the process of machining before he even knew if I was going to purchase anything from him. I love doing business with that type of person.

This was originally planned for my Tele build. However, once the American Standard bridge mount was removed from the standard options of the body builder, I decided to go in more of a traditional direction ...

Armadillo Parts Resize.jpg

Last edited:
i like that smd bridge

Thanks! I'm thinking it will go on my next build. I need a guitar I can leave set up for playing slide and this combined with the SD Pearly Gates Tele pickup I just bought might be a killer combo. I'm even having semi-goofy thoughts about a single pickup, volume/tone, Switchback V with a lined fretless fatback neck! That would certainly be a unique guitar, but probably awesome for slide.

Since that photo was taken, I've done a lot of Scotch-Brite rubbing and have things pretty smooth. I'll probably need to get it plated if I don't want it turning into a nasty chunk of rust (1018 steel).

Back