Which Bridge?

chuck7

Hey all,

So I'm progressing in planning the referb on the Kay Vanguard and I am having a hard time deciding which way to go with the bridge.  In general I want to keep it as authentic as possible, but playability is my primary concern.  The monetary value is not that high, so I'm not at risk of dumping $30k in value or anything like that.  Also this being handed down from my Grandfather - he would want me to play it. 

So all that said, heres my situation.  The existing bridge setup is terrible.  Here is a picture:

209081_1811046929673_1644993790_1715323_6858404_o.jpg

The bridge is off in this shot, but as you can tell from the poll spacing, the polls come up into the bridge between the 1st and 2nd, and the 5th and 6th strings.  The bridge itself is carved out of a single piece of wood and is damaged. 

Ideally I would like to replace the existing setup with a modern fully adjustable non-trem bridge that would still fit under the stock chrome cover which you can see here:

192060_1809275765395_1644993790_1713158_4321370_o.jpg

so far, I cant find one.  Tune-o-matics are out because the posts are out to the sides of the saddles, making them far to wide to fit under the cover.  The one piece rear loading bridges I have found are all too big to fit as well. I looked at a couple of strat hardtail style bridges like the one from hipshot, but they are setup for the strings to load from the back of the body, which this guitar does not currently support. 

So I think I have three options. 

Option 1:  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Schaller_Non-Tremolo_Roller_Bridge.html?tab=Details#details

This bridge would not fit under the cover, but it should be compatible to the original layout.  It would require the least (probably not any) modification to the actual guitar.  The only downside is, its not very pretty, and dosn't really match the vibe of the guitar.

Option 2: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Hipshot_Hardtail_Bridge.html

This is the strat hardtail style.  I still need to do some more messurements, but I think this would fit under the stock cover.  The problem is the drilling.  I would need to drill the 6 string holes through the body of the guitar.  I currently dont have access to a drill press and if possible would prefer to avoid this sort of modification.  I suppose if its easier than I'm thinking it is, it might be my best option to really maintain the fully vintage look. 

Option 3:  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Schroeder_Stoptail_Bridge.html

This would require drilling and placing new studs, and I would have all the holes left by the current tail piece to deal with, but though it dosn't look stock, I think it does fit the vibe. 

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and if there is another option that I've not found, please let me know!

thanks guys,
Chuck

I would say go with the option 2, i know its a modification the guitar does not naturally have, and i know the string thru/top load debate is minor,(Least it seems it for guitarists, bass i can feel the difference it makes personally)
but i would say its the best for keeping the natural look of the guitar from the front.
Aswell as giving you possibly a nicer sound, and playability of the guitar.
Option 3 would be a second resort to me, cause of all the work, but you must know what your doing so no problems there  :laughing7:
Option 1 last resort purely for the reasons you gave yourself, even if it is the easiest to pull off.

I have an old guitar I'm trying to get going as well. I wanted a top loading bridge that wouldn't look too modern and was narrow enough to fit without modifying the pickguard. I just ordered one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170608580226

I don't understand how they can sell and ship that cheap from China, but I'm only out $7 if it doesn't work. If the saddles are too bad, I should be able to replace them.

You might also try getting a machinist friend to drill holes in the back lip of a warmoth string-thr hardtail bridge? The lip on that thing could easily support strings. I would personally not want to be drilling holes all the way through a special guitar.

The other option is to get some saddles and some steel plate and make your own bridge - bend a lip in the back, drill some holes, how complicated are those things anyhow.

I found a top load hardtail bridge on ebay that will either work as is, or I should be able to modify it to work.  @richship, I think the one you linked to would be just about perfect.  Given the price I might just order it and have both on hand to try. 

Back