What's most Suitable Wood for Chambered body?

t-drifter

Hi there,

I recently posted a thread related to what wood would be most appropriate for a chambered body JM-shape/Gretsch-y sounding guitar. It was put under general discussions, but I'd figure I might get more varied answers under the 'Body Woods' Section. 

Pickups: I'm planning on putting two TVJ type pickups (be it HiLos, Filters, Magnatrons or combination of these).

Based on these pickups, which wood combination woods would provide a good balance between jangle, sparkle, twang, and "airy resonance"?

I've put together a list of wood combinations, feel free to comment or add your experience/analysis with these woods:

1) Chambered maple core, maple top.
Would this be like a Rickenbacker 330 or 325?

2) Chambered ash core, maple top.
Would this be similar to "traditional" Fender sound?

3) Chambered mahogany core, maple top.
Would this be like a Gretsch Duo Jet?

4) Chambered korina core, maple top. Would this be like a Gibson Flying V?

Furthermore, I'm deciding on getting either maple neck/rosewood fretboard or a maple neck/ebony fretboard.

I would greatly appreciate any help, advise, and or experiences that many of you may have with this.

Cheers,

t-drifter

P.S.

I have a Vox AC15 HW1 with AlNiCo speaker, and I occasionally play with fuzz and light tube overdrive, as well as analog delay and spring reverb. Dunno if this might help narrow things down a bit?

P.P.S. I like early VU, Electric Prunes, Beau Brummels, and Byrds type tones.

The body wood species of a solid-body guitar doesn't have as much influence on the guitar's character as some imagine. The major influences are the neck and pickups, particularly the pickups. Also, scale length and neck attachment method will affect things.

Then, chambering is more of a weight-saving move than anything else. So, you can pretty much do what you want. If you're going to put a solid finish on it, don't spend a lotta money on exotic woods, and if weight isn't an issue for you, then don't bother with the chambering. 

Yeah, you seem to be under the impression that chambering gives some wild tonal effect that woods should be chosen carefully to fit, when chambering isn't that big of a deal.

Back