What price this stuff up?

old_picker

Maiden post - been building guitars here in Melbourne Australia since the early noughties.
Superwide neck delivered last spring and finally assembled the project today - in plain sight through the whole lacquering process this fault was way to obvious to notice until now :( I've made contact with Warmoth but according the website email responses are slow atm. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone hade a creative low cost low energy idea to turn this into a feature that doesn't look fugly

The Warmoth logo is poking out from the neck pocket
Pretty deplorable effort I would have thought on the part of building team, especially for an export job.
Not sure how I am going to make this look right or even if it is possible.

warmoth-2.jpg

warmoth-3.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Well that is a pain after this time. If you want to fix it yourself this is what I would do.

Apply 2 - 3 layers of masking tape to form a line and protect the wood that does sit in the pocket and then use some sandpaper to create a slight slope towards the transition until the point that the branding disappears. You could also pare it away with a sharp chisel / blade or use a dremel. Then you would need to refinish.

And yes like you I am not in the US and if something does go wrong due to QC it is a costly and time consuming thing if parts need to be returned. In my opinion international orders especially should undergo detailed checks prior to being sent out to avoid things slipping through the net.

ooo yes that indeed sucks and is poor QC by warmoth.  Sorry Warmoth folks!!  Please do better next time.  :headbang:

I would do what stratamania suggests:  create a line where the neck pocket starts and sand it out without changing the height of the neck in the pocket.  There's no other way I think...

Then you can fill in the little divet with a mix of wood glue and maple saw dust, if you want to get rid of the divet. Then refinish with a wipe on oil of some sort.

By the way, love Australia, great country, you're lucky to live there.

If it were me anyway if my neck showed up that way I wouldn't be able to tolerate it - import or not. Any return shipping charges for exchange purposes should fall on the company who messed up so I wouldn't even dream of being the one paying to have that returned - and return it I would. If you're down to fix it maybe discuss a partial refund or something but I wouldn't spend *any more* money trying to fix a QC issue.

rick2 said:
Then you can fill in the little divet with a mix of wood glue and maple saw dust, if you want to get rid of the divet. Then refinish with a wipe on oil of some sort.

By the way, love Australia, great country, you're lucky to live there.

What divet?

the area that's had the dremel tool pass over it may express some concavity.  If OP wanted he could fill it in.  I suppose divet may not have been the right word, or if it's not too bad just left alone and call it character.

rick2 said:
the area that's had the dremel tool pass over it may express some concavity.  If OP wanted he could fill it in.  I suppose divet may not have been the right word, or if it's not too bad just left alone and call it character.

The idea would be not to create that in the first place, hence sandpaper on a block is probably a slower but certain approach. It also depends on what dremel attachment was used and the speed and skill of the user but still the idea would not be to create a secondary problem while fixing the first.

Thanks for the replies.
Warmoth to their great credit have offered to replace the neck and this one stays with me.  Me? Now a rusted on customer.

I can take my time to figure this out.

For me, it would just be an opportunity to remove those bumps and sort of reshape that area of the heel. In the process thus removing unsightly stamp... :dontknow:

Tape it off and paint that muffin top to match body or contrast. A racing stripe of sorts. LOL  :dontknow:  Good on W to be making this right. That's why all of us keep sending them truckloads of money.

wildbill92879 said:
Tape it off and paint that muffin top to match body or contrast. A racing stripe of sorts. LOL  :dontknow:  Good on W to be making this right. That's why all of us keep sending them truckloads of money.
Muffin top... :laughing11:

DangerousR6 said:
wildbill92879 said:

Doug, I was going to suggest he get you to make a plate but that is my answer to everything.

wildbill92879 said:
DangerousR6 said:
wildbill92879 said:

Doug, I was going to suggest he get you to make a plate but that is my answer to everything.
:headbang:

Back