What is your favorite Tele bridge pickup?

S

Spud

Currently I am using a Duncan “ broadcaster “ I do also have a Duncan Jerry Donahue . Wondering what others are currently using?

I’ve only tried a handful, but I really like the Cavalier pickups Fat Lion in the bridge of my jazzcaster. It’s a little fatter (as the name suggests) than a more “vintage-y” tele pickup and has a good balance of twang and grunt

I’ve heard good things about that SD Jerry Donahue pickup though

I quite like the Seymour Duncan Vintage stack bridge. I also have a Joe Barden set which I like, but the modern bridge variant of the Barden's may suit some more than the Gatton style bridge.

My current favorite is a Don Mare Hayride. It’s his flagship, but ultimately is just a late-‘50s/early-‘60s spec.…twang for country, chime for pop, cut/grind for rock. Probably close to the SD Broadcaster (which has nothing to do with real ‘50 Broadcaster specs).

I may go back to the Donahue alnico 2, The Broadcaster is sorta under wound twangy. I do like the QP tapped suggestion, but the added switch I am not eager to do again. (drill etc. or push pull)

I didn't go into detail last night, but I enjoy the tapped Duncan QP set up with a four-way switch. It allows 7 combinations on the Tele:

• Neck only
  • Neck and bridge in series, tapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in series, untapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in parallel, tapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in parallel, untapped bridge
  • Bridge only, tapped
  • Bridge only, untapped
Quite a lot of useful sounds there with pretty simple switching. You can really beat up the front end of your amp by going neck/bridge in series with the coil tap disengaged. So much fun.

I have 2 Tele bridge pups

1. Fender broadcaster - pairs very well with the Duncan Antiquity PAF neck. It can twang, it can rock.

2. Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan. It’s wound hot (P90 driven tones. ), but can be tapped down to a vintage wind.
There where was something else unique about it as David (the winder), said it was the 2nd o e he had done like that. Had installed ina doner for a while and was great.

Love both.

I don't really use a Tele much as I prefer an Esquire, but my favorite pickup in an Esquire is the Mojotone Quietcoil Broadcaster.

1. Fender broadcaster - pairs very well with the Duncan Antiquity PAF neck. It can twang, it can rock.

Specs have always been scarce on this model, but people seem to compare it closest in construction and tone to the Texas Special. It seems funny that Seymour Duncan, Fender, and Throbak all have "Broacaster" pickups that have nothing to do with early Boadcaster(/Nocaster/early Telecaster) specs.

It may be a Nocaster. Bought the guitar used and forgot what they told be. I’ll see if I can find out.

I didn't go into detail last night, but I enjoy the tapped Duncan QP set up with a four-way switch. It allows 7 combinations on the Tele:

• Neck only
  • Neck and bridge in series, tapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in series, untapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in parallel, tapped bridge
  • Neck and bridge in parallel, untapped bridge
  • Bridge only, tapped
  • Bridge only, untapped
Quite a lot of useful sounds there with pretty simple switching. You can really beat up the front end of your amp by going neck/bridge in series with the coil tap disengaged. So much fun.
Great, now I do want one. Gonna have to wait a bit though. "thanks" Ian.

I haven't used that many different pickups.

That is due to buying a set of harmonic design vintage plus pickups for the tele I didn't want but had to buy/build.

They were flavor of the month around 2000 or so. They sounded great then and still do after 23 years.

I use them with 500k pots, an .022 cap, and a very strong treble bleed. The bleed thins out the increased mids and bass for a more traditional tele sound.

Bill Lawrence L290TL. That bridge pickup nails it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For something that sounds great but to my ear is not a pure tele Dimarzio Area T. You'll be happy with either.

Use a four way switch that gets you a series option.

Another vote for Cavalier pickups. I have the nocaster and lion pickups in mine and couldn't be happier. Tons of twang and tele treble without the icepick effect.

Back