Well…I went and ordered a killswitch…

ChrisMC

I’m not sure if it’s just the boredom of passing the time waiting for my neck and body to arrive, or what, but I just ordered a Tesi (brand) Poco (model) LED 12mm killswitch, black with purple LED. I’m not even sure if I’ll end up using it. I like the idea of HAVING a killswitch, and they’re pretty straight forward to wire up, I’m just not sure how I feel about having a permanent 1/2” hole in the top of my rear route Soloist, but…it’s on its way.

I got the purple LED which will go nice with my purple flame top, but if I do install it, I’m not sure if I’d wire up the battery or not.

Either way, kill switches are cool (IMO), 1/2” holes….I’m not sure about, but I have one coming, so there’s the option.

Anybody use one? Do you stutter effect on every other song?  :toothy10:

Ive always put it in the same category as Floyd Flutter. There's a song or two where its just expected. But unless you're nuts enough to make a double neck guitar just to play a single song, you could probably get by without it.

swarfrat said:
Ive always put it in the same category as Floyd Flutter. There's a song or two where its just expected. But unless you're nuts enough to make a dpuble neck guitar just to play a single song, you cluld probably get by without it.

Very true statement, but the same could be said of many other modifications and pieces of gear. I know I won’t use it much, that’s a given, but my build is “inspired by Edward Van Halen”, and he thought well enough of a killswitch to have it on his last signature Wolfgang before passing, so there is that.

They’re not expensive, I’m just toying with the idea. I won’t really know until I have the body in hand and start laying out my controls. There’s definitely room though (that route is pretty roomy!). We’ll see.

Nope, don't use one, but anything that glows is cool.  As for stutter effect it's not really a big part of what I do, but if I did, I'd flick the pick-up selector blade back and forth.

I say go for it ... it glows!  :cool01:

Another option to install a Shadow Kill pot.
It's available both as a 500k and a 250k pot.

11817935_800.webp

I had a couple installed. I'm a little undecided about the quality though.
On one guitar the pot stopped working - not the switch function. If this was a result of me using the switch too much causing the pot to fail or if it was faulty from the beginning, I can't tell.
On another guitar I have the same type of kill pot and it works perfectly.

Chapman did a video about this many years ago:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/866__QJg9LQ[/youtube]

The nearest I ever got to a kill switch would be a dodgy guitar lead that cut out intermittently. Not my thing really.

I used to do this kind of thing by turning off the rhythm volume and using the pickup selector...
... I also just use the volume control for tremolo, so maybe I'm just weird.

Mayfly said:
I used to do this kind of thing by turning off the rhythm volume and using the pickup selector...
... I also just use the volume control for tremolo, so maybe I'm just weird.
That's how I do it, and I learned it from a buddy of mine, who learned it from a buddy of his, who learned it watching Jimi Hendrix, so there's at least 4 of us...

….but as Rick2 pointed out - it GLOWS!

Really though, my wiring scheme is already complex, so what’s a couple more wires?

2 humbuckers
Master volume
Master tone
5 way blade
Push/pull pot for coil splitting in positions 1 and 5
Blower switch for bridge pickup
….and now a kill switch

And also it glows. Purple. Like the body. Sweet.

Back