Way back into the Blues

wolbai

Way back into the Blues

ATTENTION: The following recording is done with a non-Warmoth guitar. In case of disinterest, please skip to section "THE END"
:)icon_biggrin:)

With this new song I have reached a virgin territory in my recordings:
The Bass and all keyboard tracks are recorded with a midi keyboard into my Cubase Artist 7 software.
The drums are created with EZ Drummer 2. This is a pretty good tool for a rapid and flexible creation of individual drum tracks.

It took me a quite a bit of time to be familar with this new recording environment.
Retrospectively I am pretty happy that I have gone that road: I have reached an unknown level of creative capabilities for future recordings. And I clearly see that I just have only reached the tip of the iceberg so far.

Therefore „Way back into the Blues“ has an even longer development history than my former songs.
As far as the harmonies and playing style you unmistakably can hear my everlasting guitar hero  :icon_biggrin:

The idea to the title came up during the recordings when I realized that more and more bluesy licks came to my mind.
This songs is therefore also a return to my british blues rock roots to a certain extent.

As mostly I am not 100% happy with my vibrato: At some parts it could have been wider and more even. But it develops over the time. My motto here is: stay on and be patient.

I have used my Gibson Les Paul with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups for the various guitar tracks. This seemed to me most suitable.

During the video recording my facial features have partially slipped away  :icon_biggrin:
Well, I think I just have to go through this  :icon_jokercolor:

Have fun while listening / watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vG23YlNKqU&feature=youtu.be

I am looking forward to your feedback - wolbai  :guitarplayer2:

THE END

Awesome.
Great song. Great playing. Love your expressions  :icon_thumright:
What did you use to record the guitar?

Hey Logrinn,

thanks for your great feedback - I appreciate it :icon_thumright:

When I do recordings at home I have to do this at bedroom levels, but with my 100 Watt Marshall running at around 6/10 on channel and master volume :icon_biggrin:

For the recordings I use my FX8 from Fractal Audio for the pre effects (Tube Screamer, Wah, etc.).
Part of my signal chain is a good power attenuator: it is the Rivera Rockcrusher.

I then use a the JDX DI-box from Radial with a pretty good cab simulation (a mixture of a 2x12 and 4X12). The DI-box is connected to my Steinberg UR22 audio interface. The audio interface is connected to my Cubase Artist 7 DAW.
I use the post effects from Cubase (Delay, Reverb, etc.).

During the recording I listen to my nearfield monitors.

wolbai

Thanks for this.
Another question though.
I thought that the Fractal had everything and then some for guitarists and that you could use it to record directly into a DAW.
But you are saying that you go from the Fractal into a separate DI-box, correct? Any particular reason for doing this?

Logrinn,

the FX8 from Fractal is a pure Multi-FX floorboard unit, especially designed for usage with a tube amp and the 4CM.
I think you confuse the FX8 with AX8 from Fractal. The AX8 is capable to do recordings directly. In addition to pro and post effects, this floorboard also contains amp and cab simulations.

wolbai

Frank my friend,

thanks for your encouraging feedback :icon_thumright:

Recording is a bit like a drug: once I am finished, I am already thinking about the next one.
I probably will go for a guitar instrumental of a vocal song with a good melody line and chord progression.

all the best - wolbai

That's VERY cool!! Great tone-can't imagine who your 'hero' might be...and, your expressions are perfectly acceptable hero faces-not to worry!! Great work, and yes, recording is a drug..CARRY ON! 

Great Ape,

great that you like it  :icon_thumright:

My recording activities in the past year, have truly benefit from being the only guitar player in a Classic Rock Band for 5 years, where I was forced to come up with a great variety of tones during a gig.

Having that said: recording is a different challenge compared to Live performance. I like both a lot  :headbang:

All the best - wolbai

Back