Watch my live solos... (LIMITED OPPORTUNITY!)

C

Cederick

I wanted to upload video/audio of the entire gig (even tho it was far from perfect) just for fun but the singer didn't want to...
But for you personal enjoyment here's a couple of my solos you can "enjoy" until I take them down again :flex:

Of course, bringing my two of my Warmoth metal machines on stage!  :guitarplayer2:
20818938_1499442306811237_7948241451509601455_o.jpg

I mostly used the one to the left, Warmoth body with Fender neck. I thought I needed a floating floyd to compensate my idea to skip vibratos (because of left hand tendonitis) but after a while I just started doing vibratos anyway  :laughing11:

For the last song I used my favorite guitar to the right  :headbanging:
It has a dive-only Floyd so therefor it wasn't my first choice this time... but it will be the next gig for sure!

I had a few issues:
2 weeks before gig I was diagnosed with Tendonitis after intense practicing so I couldn't rehearse for all that time :rant:
Because of that, nervosity level was legendary because the entire gig I was worried about hurting my left arm again, having to stop and go off stage... It was also 0:30 in the night, so it was quite cold for the fingers :ugh:
Also, we were supposed to have a 5-piece choir section but that was canceled a few days before the gig, so I had to add backing vocals myself without any rehearsal at all, increasing nervosity quite a bit :lol: shouldn't affect solos, but it's still one more thing to think about...

Also... My absolute first gig with this particular band! So I had no previous routine at all

Oh well, personally I think I did alright regarding the circumstances!

What you think?!?!

Screwing up a bit in the end of this one
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXwbDihgbw[/youtube]

Once again... I have no goddamn idea why I did what I did at the very end :lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21dH6AwY2M[/youtube]

This solo I forgot completely so I just improvised everything and stood still like a nervous snowballman :flex:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOm6S2jAsO4[/youtube]

Sorry for out-of-synch video, but my parts of this solo are actually quite well performed  (Emils too, of course!!)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MVe74aw6g[/youtube]

And here we go all out Walls Of Jericho on y'all!!!
I'm surprised I nailed the part at 0:37 decently! I suck at sweeping but it somehow sounds "alright"
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80hpbvlQF70[/youtube]

I'll take these down soon so dont miss out on watching these now!   :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

Thanks for sharing!

Any way you cut it, that style of music is demanding on the body, and care for one's...high performance vehicle should be considered when flat out burning for an hour or more to ensure longevity.

I have concern for some of my favorite guitar players, namely Mr. Zakk Wylde who has published videos of himself lifting heavy weights in addition to the already superhuman amount of repetitions he has put in on the guitar. I get a gut feeling that he has "played through the pain" throughout his career, initially thrust into the spotlight of millions of fans, expecting him to fill the shoes of the giants that came before him.

Zakk is now pushing the envelope of what human beings are capable of at 50 years with his shredding. As he is an incredible musician/songwriter in addition to his guitar pyrotechnics, I'd rather him take care of himself and give his body the proper rest and recovery that logic tells me it may need, so that he can write more great music in the future.

Long story short, there has been music written that is enjoyable that requires less speed and less notes, and if you are struggling with tendonitis, it may behoove you to find ways of creating that same enjoyment with a method or technique less taxing on your body. If nothing else, you might consider icing down your hands/arms after a show or practice/rehearsal session and/or planning on including times of rest during the show.

You might also ask Mr. Wylde how he does it since I am befuddled.

Given the circumstances, I'd say you did fantastic.

Did you use that Kemper unit for that show?

Axkoa said:
Awesome video quality, you guys sound like Edguy...

Thanks! I took the raw signals from mixer and tweaked it a bit at home :) I love recording live shows, and will do it again soon. That band will use their amps on stage, but I will reamp at home with Kemper  :evil4: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
Given the circumstances, I'd say you did fantastic.

Did you use that Kemper unit for that show?

Thanks! I know I can do better, but I've never been so nervous.
I'm playing another live show in a month, and thats another band, and no singer who dont wanna show anything...
Even if the gig sucks I wanna show it to everybody with good audio quality  :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, straight to PA, no cabs or mics involved.
SUPER convinient and fast soundcheck.

Me and the other guitarist (using Axe8) had been tweaking our guitar tones together a lot beforehand, so they would fit and also have similar volume. We just hooked it up on stage, and a couple of minutes later it was done!

The sound guys thanked us a lot too for it, and we were of course not the only bands using Kempers/AxeFX/similar stuff on the festival. I'm probably never going back to the loud tube amps live again... even in rehearsal we use our Kempers and Axe8s lined, with headphones, miced drums, much less noise and almost album quality monitoring in headphones.

Only issue is that you more easily hear how bad you play  :toothy12:

Wow Cederick....great sound in those videos, and a nice stereo mix to boot! Your playing and tone are great! I have been hauling my Bogner Helios and 4x12 cab around for so long it's like second nature, but I am getting dangerously close to looking at a Kemper, AxeFX, or AmpliFIRE type solution. Your tone in this video has me thinking I might be doing some shopping soon!

With the Kemper, do you bring your own monitor solution, or just rely on whatever monitors the sound guy provides? Do you use in-ears?
I just played a big festival last Saturday too, with about that many people in attendance. Pretty fun, isn't it?  :guitarplayer2:

double A said:
Wow Cederick....great sound in those videos, and a nice stereo mix to boot! Your playing and tone are great! I have been hauling my Bogner Helios and 4x12 cab around for so long it's like second nature, but I am getting dangerously close to looking at a Kemper, AxeFX, or AmpliFIRE type solution. Your tone in this video has me thinking I might be doing some shopping soon!

With the Kemper, do you bring your own monitor solution, or just rely on whatever monitors the sound guy provides? Do you use in-ears?
I just played a big festival last Saturday too, with about that many people in attendance. Pretty fun, isn't it?  :guitarplayer2:
Thanks A!  :blob7:

It's a really good way to make sure you get "your tone" live.
If you have an amp and cab, then you better make sure it's miced the right way and all that, since the mic position makes a "huge difference" (oh how I dislike using that phrase, but in the case of mic placement, it actually fits :toothy12:).

With a Kemper or anything other with IRs or something, you tweak your tone at home.
But OF COURSE make sure it's a "live compitable" tone, but that goes without saying: no scooping mids  :toothy12:

We relied on the monitors on stage, but in the future I might get my own monitor I can take with me.
But right now, this is a really easy to carry, fast to setup and just plain out great sounding live rig.

I mean come on: somebody might be like "tube amps sounds better" but... will anybody else than yourself notice?
The audience is more interested in the show, not listening for 1% difference between the real amp, and the Kemper profile.  :toothy12:

The next good thing, is that I really have everything I need in it.

Not just the amp sounds, but also effects for solos and clean tones.
And a big screen with a easy to see tuner!

That Tech 21 Midi Moose switch is great. I have since then re-arranged the patches tho, because I find the buttons to be too close to each other... haha! So now I only have three patches...

1. Clean
2. Solo <--- same solo tone
3. Solo <--- same solo tone
4. Rhythm <--- same rhythm tone
5. Rhythm <--- same rhythm tone

Yeah... I have two identical patches next to each other... That way I can still press the wrong button and get the right patch!
I only really need three anyway. :)

Cederick said:
1. Clean

Yeah... I have two identical patches next to each other... That way I can still press the wrong button and get the right patch!

LOL....yes!! I have done the same thing with many of my pedals. Those pedals with a million little foot-switches are fine and dandy for the bedroom, but on a stage I need to be able hit the right button as fly by my pedal board at a full run.  :bananaguitar:

double A said:
Cederick said:
1. Clean

LOL....yes!! I have done the same thing with many of my pedals. Those pedals with a million little foot-switches are fine and dandy for the bedroom, but on a stage I need to be able hit the right button as fly by my pedal board at a full run.  :bananaguitar:

This can actually be taken one step further (but less steps for the feet  :laughing7:)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL06GBqVeQE[/youtube]

If the band plays with clicktrack live, you can actually setup a MIDI track for each song that then automatically changes patches on the Kemper, but of course, this can work with any sort of MIDI-compitable amp, I could do it with my EVH 5150 if I wanted to.

SUPER cool feature, but unfortunately the drummer in one of my bands dont wanna use clicktracks... oh well, changing patches for solos maybe aint a big job  :toothy11:

Drummers can be a funny lot sometimes. I played in a band years ago where the drummer wanted to follow me!  Of course, as a result, he'd end up lost all the time, which caused the bass player to get lost, and then we'd crash. I kept telling him HE was the timing standard, that if he didn't stay on course we were gonna keep having problems. I was playing lead, fer crissakes! I was last  one anyone should follow. He could have followed the rhythm or bass player if he had to follow somebody, but of course they were looking at him. It was a mess. Didn't last long.

Amazing playing.  I sensed a bit of George Lynch in the 1st video with both style and tone (not a bad thing)

I am impressed with both the playing and the use of modeling amp.  I always considered myself too oblivious to work those things and resorted to old fashioned tubes and pedals.  I had a BOSS unit years ago and noted it.
  It really is the wave of the future...and saves the back too.  Unless you have roadies!!!! :yourock: :yourock: :yourock:

The "back saving" thing may be overrated in some cases, depending on how you look at it. In my case, I use the Axe Fx, which weighs maybe 5 - 7 pounds or so. But, then I wanted wireless, which added the Relay 90 to the rack. Then I wanted some reverb effects the Axe didn't have, plus to unload the Axe's processor a bit, so I added a Lexicon unit to the rack. Of course, I wanted a power distribution panel for those three things plus the powered speakers, so that got added to the rack. The 6 space rack itself has some weight, so by the time I was done I had a roughly 50 pound box. Still not terribly heavy, but getting a bit chunky.

On the plus side, I've got hundreds of amps, effects and speaker cabinets in there that I don't have to carry individually, so from that point of view, it's light as a feather.

Back