Warning from a lost soul

PhilHill

Hello Group, My name is Phil and I'm a guitar building addict.
It started out simple enough, just going to change a set of tuning keys. Then that wasn't enough, so I moved on to pickups, then pick-guards, before I knew it, it became a body blank a day habit. I can't stop. I've been to the Roberto Venn Center 4 times for treatment, but I always end up back in the shop with a router in my hands, just one more, then I'll quit. But I'm only fooling myself, it'll never change. I doomed, but you folks can learn from my tragedy. Don't get hooked like I did. One of these days they'll find me, face down in a cheap motel with a piece of zebrawood and a shinto rasp lying beside my head. Save yourselves while you still can. Right now this is what I have going in various stages of progress:
WHv2uF.jpg

MaITsb.jpg

. I just keep going, no matter what it takes. My friends won't loan me money anymore. StewMac has me on their cash only list. Wood dealers keep finding me going through their scrap bins. I've sold myself as a tech to cheap bar bands just to support my habit. Please, don't end up like me..... :turtle: :turtle:

Dang, what a tragic story.  And you always seemed so... "normal".  To me at least.  But I bet you had a huge collection of sandpaper under your mattress as a kid.  It's always the quiet ones they say.

Well, the first step is to admit you've got a problem.  Good luck.

Thank you Folks. I appreciate the support. I have to go now, it's a long drive to the state line. My family has called all the local lumber dealers and told them not to sell to me. I just have to make one more, then I can quit, no problem. Just one more and that'll be it.........................

Y'know... here in Michigan, we're allowed to grow our own trees. Something to think about...

Cagey said:
Y'know... here in Michigan, we're allowed to grow our own trees. Something to think about...

:laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11:........... :icon_thumright:

The cure might be found in collecting matchsticks, bonding them together with resin or glue live on YouTube and making a canoe out of them for therapeutic reasons  :icon_thumright:

stratamania said:
The cure might be found in collecting matchsticks, bonding them together with resin or glue live on YouTube and making a canoe out of them for therapeutic reasons  :icon_thumright:

and if the canoe starts on fire, you have a handy water source right there!!

PhilHill said:
Thank you Folks. I appreciate the support. I have to go now, it's a long drive to the state line.

That made me literally LOL.. The county I live in borders Missouri, and was a dry county forever up until a few years ago.  We had to drive to the state line if we wanted anything alcholic..  So, I can totally relate.

Oh, and I feel your pain.. I think I may have been bitten by the same bug.

I remember you, Phil. Third floor, second room on the right. They knew you were hiding the wood shavings in the hallway wastebasket. I flushed my shavings down the toilet and hid my files by taping them to the bottom of my dresser drawers. I kept my blanks between my mattress and box springs - they never looked there.

So, you got out now? If you did make it out, I need a new Shinto rasp. somebody found mine when I left it out by mistake. I would order one myself but the staff won't let me accept packages from StewMac.

I escaped the last time. A Mother McCree's Tribute band came to entertain us one night. I had let my hair and beard grow out when I heard they were coming. So I waited until their Jerry Garcia impersonator went to the bathroom during their setup and I locked him in. Then I put on his jacket and bluffed my way past the guards by telling them I had forgot my banjo in the van. They fell for it cause they were all Wayne Newton fans and had never seen Garcia.
I will try to get you a new rasp and ship it to you in an old accordion case  I have. Just tell them that your trying to learn how to play "Danke Schoen" and they won't bother it..... :headbang:

Edited for duffus mistake.

A Quarrymen (early Beatles) tribute band had a “Jerry Garcia”??!!    That’s as strange a combination as Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees!

Bill, tgo

Lbpesq said:
A Quarrymen (early Beatles) tribute band had a “Jerry Garcia”??!!    That’s as strange a combination as Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees!

Bill, tgo

Yes, they were a very bad tribute band. That's why they were appearing at a rehab center.

. Your right of course, I was thinking Mother McCree and wrote Quarry Men. I'm old and sometimes confused, of course the beers I had prior to that moment had nothing to do with it.................. :dontknow:

I think I'm developing your symptoms Phil... Any recommendations on treating them when still in early stages?

alexreinhold said:
I think I'm developing your symptoms Phil... Any recommendations on treating them when still in early stages?

Start playing accordion or banjo. You will immediately become a social outcast an be unable to get supplies to get hooked on......... :headbang:

[quote author=PhilHill]

Start playing accordion or banjo. You will immediately become a social outcast an be unable to get supplies to get hooked on......... :headbang:
[/quote]

No rest for the demented
[youtube]https://youtu.be/FYu1e71v0v4[/youtube]

swarfrat said:
[quote author=PhilHill]

No rest for the demented
[youtube]https://youtu.be/FYu1e71v0v4[/youtube]
[/quote]

It's far worse than I thought, I'm afraid it's hopeless................... :help:

I got the maker bug pretty bad, but I'm so unorganized and distracted by other things (family, shop space limitations, active resistance from spousal unit) that I get little done. But still - you got to be pretty hard up to go into homebuilding accordians.
I'm not sure if he deserved respect or pity, or both.

Back