Warmoth strat shape vs 2010's~ Fender strat shape

kurkkumopo

Has anyone compared a 2010s~ fender strat shape to a Warmoth one? Especially the possible differences in tummy cut and forearm contour bother me. I have a 2017 Fender Mexican strat and i'd like to get as close to that as possible.

The reason i'm asking this is that Warmoth seems to be the only place where you can order a rear routed body that's atleast somewhat close to fender's shape. The only difference that i'm aware is that warmoth uses a 1/2 edge radius on their bodies while fender uses 7/16 and i'm okay with that.

Also, Fender's strat shapes across different series have been pretty much the same since 2010s so the argument of the vintage models having different shapes doesn't hold a candle here.

Looking across at my guitar rack there are some slight differences between the contours but none that make any difference feel wise for me.

Warmoth highlights the differences between their Strat bodies and Fenders in their Vintage Strat body listing and in some of Aaron's videos. The arm counter is smaller/ shallower, the tummy cut is less deep as you move toward the tail. These are so they can more easily accommodate options like bent tops, chambered bodies, pickup options, trem options, etc. I own a real '78 Fender Stratocaster, a '94 G&L Legecy and a Warmoth strat and they are all in the same ballpark in regards to feel and ergonomics, despite their differences.

It's what they offer, but if it's a dealbreaker there isn't a lot of other choices now that USACG are Hefner are both gone and Musikraft has discontinued bodies.

If it is a solidbody without a laminate top, you could shape the contours to taste with a shinto saw and sandpaper before finishing.

DuckBaloo said:
Warmoth highlights the differences between their Strat bodies and Fenders in their Vintage Strat body listing and in some of Aaron's videos. The arm counter is smaller/ shallower, the tummy cut is less deep as you move toward the tail. These are so they can more easily accommodate options like bent tops, chambered bodies, pickup options, trem options, etc. I own a real '78 Fender Stratocaster, a '94 G&L Legecy and a Warmoth strat and they are all in the same ballpark in regards to feel and ergonomics, despite their differences.

It's what they offer, but if it's a dealbreaker there isn't a lot of other choices now that USACG are Hefner are both gone and Musikraft has discontinued bodies.

If it is a solidbody without a laminate top, you could shape the contours to taste with a shinto saw and sandpaper before finishing.

USACG is under new ownership and relocating to the midwest, so not "gone".

Street Avenger said:

I hope it relaunches, but it is safe to consider it gone (for now) for our intents and purposes.

The website has said "An announcement will be made on the future of the Custom Shop and the Inventory availability in the coming weeks" since November with zero updates. Word is the equipment has been moved and is churning S-, T- and J-style bodies for Mark Jenny to finish/relic and sell as  MJT; there doesn’t seem to be any rush to relaunch any custom body/neck work.

So maybe they’ll start selling bodies by the end of this year, or 2021 or never. How long should a buyer wait?

DuckBaloo said:
Street Avenger said:

I hope it relaunches, but it is safe to consider it gone (for now) for our intents and purposes.

The website has said "An announcement will be made on the future of the Custom Shop and the Inventory availability in the coming weeks" since November with zero updates. Word is the equipment has been moved and is churning S-, T- and J-style bodies for Mark Jenny to finish/relic and sell as  MJT; there doesn’t seem to be any rush to relaunch any custom body/neck work.

So maybe they’ll start selling bodies by the end of this year, or 2021 or never. How long should a buyer wait?
Yeah, I guess you're right. I wonder if the whole COVID thing has had a negative affect on their business as well.

Warmoth are the biggest, richest name in to-order parts and look at how they were held up and are still fighting a big backlog. Every other company has been completely screwed.

DuckBaloo said:

Which Aaron's videos talk about this? I'd like to watch them.

Logrinn said:
This one for instance:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3Xm4oHKM66s[/youtube]

Actually it seems that the Standard Warmoth body is closer to my mexican strat than the vintage one. The tummy cut and arm contours are exactly the same.

Back