Warmoth Mustang

JerseyTrash

Just assembled! So far so good. Still getting used to the single(ish) coils.

I got it with the satin finish. Unfortunately, Warmoth didn't offer the option of having the back of the body painted (I think it would have looked nice stained black). In any case, plays pretty great out of the box!

Attachments

• IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 569
Awesome!
Simply stunning!
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Verne Bunsen said:
Looks great! How did the neck angle thing turn out for you?

Not quite what I was looking for (I was aiming for a Gibson-style neck angle pocket), but was told this was the best solution for this type of configuration. Its comparable to a Jaguar.

Still a bit on the fence with the pickups. They're GFS Lil' Killers. Not super "single coil-y" sounding, but could just be my setup. I still have to noodle around a bit with settings, height, etc.

Overall, fun little guitar though!

Yeah, that's a sharp guitar right there. 
I like seeing people exploring the Mustang concept with non-vintage specs, like the TOM/stop-tail you went with.
Nice work!

I'm generally not too hot for Mustangs, but that is one awesome axe you got there Bro! Enjoy your new toy. 

I like how good the PG cut out looks with the TOM bridge, definitely gonna store that in my memory banks.

I think the light back/dark front looks awesome, by the by.

JerseyTrash said:
Still a bit on the fence with the pickups. They're GFS Lil' Killers. Not super "single coil-y" sounding, but could just be my setup. I still have to noodle around a bit with settings, height, etc.

If you're looking for more of a "single coil-y" sound, but noise-free, GFS' "TrueCoil" parts are remarkably faithful.

dummy_coil_b_thumbnail.jpg

They're not 100% noise-free because they just use a dummy coil to do the hum cancelling, rather than go the full double coils series-connected route like most noiseless units use.

thumbnail.asp

This means you still get some hum, but it's so little that it's not worth talking about. Think like maybe 5% of the hum you'd get from a traditional single coil. Real easy to knock off with a gate if you have to, because you don't have to set the threshold very high. And for what they cost, it's a no-brainer to try a set out just for fun. They come in three levels of hotness - "Vintage", "Texas" and "Overwound". I've used the "Vintage" as I suspect they're the most authentic, and overwinding isn't as necessary as it used to be to bang your amp's front end, what with the hundreds of pedals available these days to do just that.

Cagey said:
JerseyTrash said:

If you're looking for more of a "single coil-y" sound, but noise-free, GFS' "TrueCoil" parts are remarkably faithful.

dummy_coil_b_thumbnail.jpg

They're not 100% noise-free because they just use a dummy coil to do the hum cancelling, rather than go the full double coils series-connected route like most noiseless units use.

thumbnail.asp

This means you still get some hum, but it's so little that it's not worth talking about. Think like maybe 5% of the hum you'd get from a traditional single coil. Real easy to knock off with a gate if you have to, because you don't have to set the threshold very high. And for what they cost, it's a no-brainer to try a set out just for fun. They come in three levels of hotness - "Vintage", "Texas" and "Overwound". I've used the "Vintage" as I suspect they're the most authentic, and overwinding isn't as necessary as it used to be to bang your amp's front end, what with the hundreds of pedals available these days to do just that.

I must concur, between their Neo's and their TruCoils, they've done a fine job of retaining vintage voicing in a hum cancelling package.

Back