**Voting reset** VOTE HERE! 2015 Guitar of the Month Runners Up Contest

Which guitar should win the December 2015 Guitar of the Month Contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOM

December 2015 Guitar of the Month contest - Special 2015 Runners Up Contest!

All votes reset to zero - if you voted already, before 11:00 AM PST, December 7 - please do so again

This is a special Runners Up contest for all those who missed out - some in a very close shave! The winner will qualify for the 2015 Guitar of the Year contest coming up in January!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post replies that show additional photos of the entrant's guitars but links to other UnofficialWarmoth threads or external sites are fine.

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

March

Guitar #1 by Bagman67 (Quty Pie Tele)

The guitar is named Quty Pie afer a chalk drawing my little girl made when she was five years old, translated to a neckplate by DangerousR6. Assembly and fret treatment by Cagey, whose work is stellar. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Body:
Warmoth carved-top tele with unique choice quilt maple top on a mahogany backside. Strat neck pocket.
Finish by Warmoth: Purple edge burst into clear, clean masked edge, with clear gloss finish on the back.

Neck:
Showcase Strat neck in quartersawn wenge, SS6115 frets, clay dot markers. Black Graphtech nut.

Hardware - all black:
Tuners: Planet Waves autotrim
Bridge: Wilkinson VS100 tremolo
Knobs, pickup bezels, etc: black chrome.
Neckplate: Custom DangerousR6 "Quty Pie" original.

Electronics:
Santana II pickups harvested from an unused PRS Santana II.
One vol., one tone, with a .001 mF treble bleed; Black Electrosocket jack

wpBtIMJ.jpg

MtsrDh8.jpg

April

Guitar #2 by Rolloman

WARMOTH NECK:
Style: Stratocaster®: Pro Construction
Maple/Indian Rosewood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard Thin
Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64")
Radius: 10-16 compound Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut, Inlays: Cream Face Dots, White Side Dots
Finish: No Finish

WARMOTH BODY:
Model: Chambered Stratocaster®
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood; Quilt Maple on Swamp Ash
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Humbucker
Controls: None
Bridge: Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Finish: No Finish

TREMOLO: Callaham Vintage S Model Strat Bridge Assembly
PICKUPS: Lindy Fralin Blues Specials with 2% underwound neck.
Tremolo springs: KGC Raw Vintage Tremolo springs.
Tremolo Stop: KGC Mega-Stop
Tuners: Sperzel 6L T/L S/C (6 inline, locking, staggered, brushed chrome)
Warmoth Custom Pickguard: Color: Cream/Black/Cream, Control 1: None, Control 2: Tone, Control 3: Tone 2, Control 4: 5 Way Switch, Countersink: SRV Countersink, Bridge Cut: Standard Bridge Cut, Mounting Holes: 11 Hole
Volume Control: Fender S1 switch. 250K switches in bridge pickup for bridge/neck, or bridge/middle/neck.
Tone Control: Bourns 250K with push/pull switch for .047 or .1 ufd. caps.
Strap Locks: Dunlop

cEjyP7W.jpg

KJ1VOdW.jpg

May - 2 qualifying runners up

Guitar #3 by HTSMetal

Gemini Sunset Stratocaster

Warmoth 59 roundback birdseye maple neck with 6150 stainless steel frets and Clear Gloss finish
Warmoth Strat body in Magenta Burst finish w/ Transparent Purple back
Fender CS '69 pickups
Fender American Stratocaster tremolo

ny58JQF.jpg

oUWmyxs.jpg

Guitar #4 by SlartiBartfast

Black Korina with a Black Korina laminate top (not chambered)
Tobacco Burst Finish on both front and back
Bridge: Wilkinson Tremolo
Indian Rosewood shaft wood, left nice and raw
Standard thin neck contour
Macassar Ebony fingerboard
10-16" compound radius
Stainless steel 6105 frets
1 11/16" nut width with GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
Sperzel locking tuners 
Dimarzio Area pickup set

kVE6XOG.jpg

June

Guitar #5 by Cven

Body
V-R, Swamp Ash with Flame Maple top, Contoured Heel, owner finished with a combination of red and black dye on top and lacquer finish

Neck
Arcade headstock, Roasted Maple Shaft, Pau Ferro w/Full Scallop, Standard Thin Contour, SS6115 fret wire, Unfinished

Hardware
Schaller Floyd Rose Bridge / Schaller Mini Locking Tuners / Custom wound Iconix pickups, black with blood splatter / (2) mini toggle switches with custom pickup configuration / CTS Pots (1M - Volume, 500k - Tone) / Hipshot O-ring knobs / Custom truss rod cover (Terrapin Guitars) / Custom Neck Plate (LazrArt) / Pau Ferro control plate (made by owner) / Dunlop StrapLocks

auBm4zo.jpg

gT7nqXa.jpg

July

Guitar #6 by Shoecat

Iceman design mahogany body with a Warmoth finished red flake (front and back); with white body binding, chrome TOM-arched strings bridge.

The neck is a right handed, 24-3/4" maple Nomad style Warmoth conversion tiltback, 10"-16"compound, 59 roundback,  Warmoth finished gloss black with an Indian rosewood fretboard with tapazoid inlays and white neck binding. 22 Stainless 6150 frets with a white TUSQ 1-11/16" nut.

Two volumes, 1 tone, 3-way selector switch
Chrome Bare Knuckle Emerald pickups with chrome pickup rings and chrome knobs.
Planet Waves chrome/black locking tuners.
Custom "Fire & Ice" neck plate and truss rod cover from Doug's Custom Neck Plates.

bMs9aPm.jpg

y32oePI.jpg

August

Guitar #7 by line6man

Homemade scratch built body, consisting of a Curly Black Walnut solidbody core, 3/8" Figured Pomelle Bubinga laminate top, and 1/8" Curly Maple accent line. Stratocaster style shape, with HSH pickup routing, recessed Schaller Floyd, one volume, one tone, and two pickup selector switches. Black hardware, including a custom neckplate by DangerousR6. The control cavity cover matches the lam top and accent line.

Warmoth Indian Rosewood neck with Macassar Ebony fretboard. Stratocaster headstock, SS6150 frets, no inlay, standard thin contour, Floyd nut and Schaller tuners.

DcT7cFt.jpg

3fzLuwI.jpg

September

Guitar #8 by vetteman

Warmoth pre-finished Vintage Modern neck and a partially routed unfinished mahogany Telecaster body. The neck features a 1-11/16" Graphtech TUSQ XL nut, 6105 frets black face and side dots with a compound radius fretboard in Vintage Tint Satin Nitro.  The Warmoth body was bare mahogany with only the strat neck pocket and neck pickup rout when received.  After some careful measuring I routed the big hole for the 10-1/2" Continental style cone which is covered by a National cover.  The bakelite pickguard houses a Lace Sensor Silver pickup wired directly to the output jack using a resistor and capacitor to approximate a not quite maxed tone setting.  Strings are DR Zebra .10's.

8hc0C3h.jpg

TOdUK3x.jpg

October - 2 qualifying runners up

Guitar #9 by DMRACO

White Korina body and zebra top with p-rails and floyd rose trem,  Stained to match all around.  Poly finish.

Neck is simple maple with rosewood finished with a satin finish all around.  Gotoh tuners.
A very simple guitar with killer tone.

MZQgzYE.jpg

Guitar #10 by Bagman67 (half-'Moth Strat)

The guitar is a half-'Moth consisting of a chambered Warmoth swamp ash body bearing a flame maple laminate top.  I finished the body with water-borne General Finishes dyes.  I dyed the top with the GF Ebony dye and when it dried I sanded it back, leaving the dye only in the pores to emphasize the figuring after color applicarion.  I then applied the GF Amber dye on the entire body, and wiped on GF Brown and Ebony to build up the burst.  The clearcoat is Tru-oil.

I equipped the body with an ebony-on-maple Carvin neck (also finished by me, in Tru-oil), a pre-loaded pickguard with pups from a Fender Eric Johnson Strat, a Wilky VS100 tremolo, gold Planet Waves locking tuners, and Schaller straplocks.  Plays like a dream.

qFdvy3y.jpg

BX49VqA.jpg

Guitar #11 by DocNrock

Body:
Unique Choice flame maple cap, black binding
Washed black dye finish
Swamp Ash back, clear gloss finish
Contoured heel
Two humbuckers
Non-recessed OFR with a 47mm big brass block

Neck:
3A Birdseye maple, 1-11/16" nut width (R4)
Unique Choice birdseye fingerboard
Black Mother of Pearl Inlays
Black binding
6100 SS Frets
Standard compound radius
Wizard profile
Grover Tuners
Customized Truss Rod Cover

Other Components:
DiMarzio Tone Zone bridge
DiMarzio Norton neck
RS Guitarworks 500k volume pot
CTS 500k tone pot
Jensen paper/oil 0.022 uf tone cap
3-way toggle.
Black round-top knurled knobs
Standard output jack
Square jack mount
And, of course, a Doug-special neck plate

5pb8gQF.jpg

RvAygUH.jpg

Apologies all, we've had to start this contest again.

As stratamania pointed out, Tony Flying Squirrel's baritone Tele was included in error - it went on to a well-deserved win later in the year.

Massive  :doh:

Thanks to stratamania and Cagey and sorry TFS.

As stated above, if you voted before the new start time of this poll, please vote again.

Well, shoot.  I can either (a) vote for one of my babies, or (b) vote for the other one, or (c) vote for what I think is actually the nicest guitar of the lot.  Bearing in mind that I may actually find one of my babies the most attractive.  Dang.

Looking at these entries, it's hard to fathom that they all came in SECOND, the month they were entered. Gives me a deeper understanding of how my prized Strat ended up in a three way tie for FIFTH place!

Beautiful instruments all, and a most difficult decision. My vote's in, good luck to all.

What an outstanding group of guitars.  Simply superb.  And, as pointed out by BigSteve22, these were second place in their reapective months!  Not only is the quality there, but the sheer aesthetic of all these instruments is a testament to the materials available from Warmoth.  Even more so, the aesthetic is a testament to the extensive collective talent of this board's membership.  Good luck to all in this month's contest.  All the entrants are winners!

:kewlpics:

:icon_thumright:

:glasses9:

rgand said:
Geekydad said:
So tough to decide! They all look great!
Yeah, an 11-way tie.

An 11-way tie may well be deserved but it would make GOM's life more difficult!  :icon_scratch: ???

Anyways, just a little over a day left to vote, so if you ain't done yet, do!

And the winner is...

DocNrock!

Many congratulations and well done to everybody!

2 GOTM in one year, a new house and a new job it is your year for sure. The heavens are smiling down on ya! Congrats brotha!!

Back