Vintage type strat trem.

willyk

I'm plotting another strat build, this time a lefty for myself. The korinakaster I just finished has a Warmoth 6 hole vintage with a 1 11/16th neck and I think the strings are a bit close to the edge for my personal taste. I don't want to go to a narrower nut so I need a narrower string spacing at the bridge. Callahams have a great reputation but their spacing is the same as the Warmoth 6 hole. I don't care for the Wilkinson I recently used on a mockingbird. I found a Fender Vintage with a 2 3/16th spacing that is available in lefty. Mounting holes are quoted 2 1/4" at centre of outside holes. Warmoth show 2.2" in the bridge routing section. That sounds close enough to me anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

CD said:
Couldn't you get a wider neck and cut the nut about the same?

Actually the wider the nut width the closer the strings are to the edge at the bottom, hence my problem. The neck has to be wider at the bottom or the bridge narrower.
Thanks for the input mate, you've given me food for thought :icon_thumright:

Go to the local guitar store.  Play a US reissue Strat.  Check the string spacing.  If that spacing suits you - get the real deal the Fender Part, as the nut and neck width are the same as W's.  I suspect the Fender one is just a tad narrower than the reproductions.  I cant remember my 79 being crowded on the neck.

Another thing that helps is you might ask if W will bevel the fret ends a bit less... which leaves more to play on.

-CB- said:
Go to the local guitar store.  Play a US reissue Strat.  Check the string spacing.  If that spacing suits you - get the real deal the Fender Part, as the nut and neck width are the same as W's.   I suspect the Fender one is just a tad narrower than the reproductions.  I cant remember my 79 being crowded on the neck.

Another thing that helps is you might ask if W will bevel the fret ends a bit less... which leaves more to play on.

Sounds like a plan CB. I have an ' 89 American Standard and the spacing is perfect, only I want a 6 screw fixing for my project. The mounting holes on the Fender vintage are only a gnat hair out (0.05") from Warmoths vintage pre-drill so it's starting to point in that direction. Good call thanks mate!

Back