Trying to find just the right combo for under $2k

I guess I'm gonna pull a ViolitionsAdvocate and push my own amp again.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075#used

Yeah, it's got EL34's and it's basically a JCM800 and it's under 1k BUT it has a to die for clean channel, especially if you were to swap in a more fendery speaker. To be honest I really like my amp's tone as much as more expensive ones I've played.  :dontknow: Give it a try?

For my first tube amp I just picked up a Vox AC30H2, 2x12 combo.  Very simple, great sounding amp, but you have to rely on pedals for most of your distorted sound and reverb, but it takes them wonderfully.  Just get really nice pedals and it sounds better than amps that are meant to scream. 

Phrygian said:
Speaking of Rivera, don't discount the early 80's II series Fender amps.  They are all hand wired amps (easier and cheaper to repair), and they'll last a life time!  The two (II) series features (i.e., the lead channel, mid boost) are nothing special, and they don't added up to anything useful really.  However, since they are hand-wired and not as collectible as the Silverface series amps, they make for a good value... And, they still retain that great Blackface clean tone!  See if you can find a Twin Reverb II (combo) or Concert II (head) that you can try out!

I was going to suggest the same thing. I just picked up a twin reverb II for dirt cheap. I love the thing. the gain is subtle, but i really like it.

The dude selling it said the reverb didn't work. I just wiggled the preamp tubes a big, and boom, reverb worked fine.

Seriously, consider the Vox AC30.  They're great for indie-type stuff (i should know, i play a fair bit of it), have the most angelic clean channel I've ever heard (even better than my Silverface Twin Reverb), they sound great when naturally overdriven, and they take pedals extremely well, so you can switch between gain and clean without adjusting the amp.  I've played through my fair share of Oranges and Marshalls and, with the exception of the JTM 45, was largely unimpressed by the clean sounds they had to offer (btw, i generally use lower-output pickups as well). 

So, consider getting an AC30.  If your budget is $2K, you'll almost have enough to do another Warmoth build to go with it

I think you should buy this one:

get_image.aspx

http://www.spacemanmusic.com/Amps/Tube+Amps/Mayfly+BC-30+Head+with+Cabinet

Some folks like these as an AC30 alternative...

jalane said:
Seriously, consider the Vox AC30.  They're great for indie-type stuff (i should know, i play a fair bit of it), have the most angelic clean channel I've ever heard (even better than my Silverface Twin Reverb), they sound great when naturally overdriven, and they take pedals extremely well, so you can switch between gain and clean without adjusting the amp. 

I agree with all of this. I don't own one of those but I wish I did, I've been messing with a friend's quite a bit and it's just really nice, clean or not

Superlizard said:
AC30s=EL84s=chime

My Mesa has EL84's and the clean channel is just a tiny bit harsh sounding with the pick attack. it was OK with humbuckers, but when I went to my first single-coil equipped guitar it was a bad combination. I don't know if that realy reflects on the tubes or not - i would imagine it's just as much the speaker.

but actually the Vox sounds like a good idea. I need to check one out. I know i've seen somebody in Radiohead using one of those. and that's kind of enough of a selling point for me on anything

dNA said:
Superlizard said:
AC30s=EL84s=chime

My Mesa has EL84's and the clean channel is just a tiny bit harsh sounding with the pick attack. it was OK with humbuckers, but when I went to my first single-coil equipped guitar it was a bad combination. I don't know if that realy reflects on the tubes or not - i would imagine it's just as much the speaker.

More likely the circuit... prolly too much going on.

Or the preamp t00bs... some are notorious for grainy, grating treble (Sovtek 12AX7WA or B's come to mind, cheap Chinese 80's 12AX7s, etc...)

Or a combo thereof.

Superlizard said:
AC30s=EL84s=chime

actually, the output tube type only has a small role in the chime of an AC30.  The main things that give it that sound are cathode bias and no feedback loop.  Both of these together allow the amp to have a different frequency response depending on transient (pick) attack, which translates into chime and bloom when playing through it.  Not saying that the tubes have no effect mind you, but it's mostly the output topology.

I'll definitely have to check out an AC30. anyone know what's the difference between the AC30C2 and AC30C2X? i am curious if they can do the crunchy tones i want. i really am 100% happy with channel two on my amp and I've been afraid all the vintage-style amps won't be able to get that kind of sound.

dNA said:
I'll definitely have to check out an AC30. anyone know what's the difference between the AC30C2 and AC30C2X? i am curious if they can do the crunchy tones i want. i really am 100% happy with channel two on my amp and I've been afraid all the vintage-style amps won't be able to get that kind of sound.

That really depends on your preferred flavor of crunch.  If what you really must have is the Mesa gain sound coming straight out of the amp, then it might not be what you're looking for.  What it does do, however, is a pure classic overdriven sound.  You'll recognize it once you play through it.

But seriously, if you need a certain gain sound and the AC30 (or BC30) :) isn't providing that for you, just use your favorite crunch pedal.  If your budget is $2K, you can buy the amp brand new and have enough left for 4 or 5 high-end boutique OD/Distortion pedals and figure out which one captures what you're after.  Better yet, just keep your Mesa, get the AC/BC 30 when you can afford it (you can sometimes find them for $700-1000 online), and then drop 30 bucks on an A/B/Y box, and you now have what we call a win-win.  :headbang1:

mayfly said:
Superlizard said:
AC30s=EL84s=chime

actually, the output tube type only has a small role in the chime of an AC30.  The main things that give it that sound are cathode bias and no feedback loop.  Both of these together allow the amp to have a different frequency response depending on transient (pick) attack, which translates into chime and bloom when playing through it.  Not saying that the tubes have no effect mind you, but it's mostly the output topology.

No doubt the AC30 has it's own thang going on, but I run a pair of THD Yellowjackets (EL84s) in my JTM45 and it's
night and day the amount of chime I get compared to the usual KT-66s (grindy top end). 

Cleans are spankin', sparkly and jangly, dirt is chimey top end.

Interestingly, the YJs are self-biasing and I'm running the feedback wire off the 16ohm tap (stock vintage JTM45).

That's one major reason I chose the Celest. Alnico Gold as the speaker - it's just a higher-powered Blue, which
is the featured speaker in many a stock AC30.  The whole setup makes the JTM45 a "Voxshall".

Superlizard said:
No doubt the AC30 has it's own thang going on, but I run a pair of THD Yellowjackets (EL84s) in my JTM45 and it's
night and day the amount of chime I get compared to the usual KT-66s (grindy top end). 

Cleans are spankin', sparkly and jangly, dirt is chimey top end.

Interestingly, the YJs are self-biasing and I'm running the feedback wire off the 16ohm tap (stock vintage JTM45).

That's one major reason I chose the Celest. Alnico Gold as the speaker - it's just a higher-powered Blue, which
is the featured speaker in many a stock AC30.  The whole setup makes the JTM45 a "Voxshall".

so what you're saying is... you want to sell this amp to me?

really though, it does sound tempting to save and get an AC30 and a AB switch. it's just.. not a very portable setup. I was hoping to go with a combo that i can through on a hand-cart and drag with me on the bus if needed.

Back