Tribute vintage pbass build advice

Jmyre70

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to build a bass, but I need help to make sure I'm actually going to build what I think I'm going to build.  My goal is to have a vintage sounding (late 50s early 60s) p bass, but keeping it light weight.  Can that happen?  Now I'm reading that a lightweight body will make a pbass sound muddy. 

The following is what I'm looking at doing:
* standard pbass body: swamp ash (4 lb, 2 oz), painted black nitro gloss
* jazz neck: roasted maple, rosewood fingerboard, graphite rods, standard profile, tusq nut, 6150 frets
* Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickups
* Hipshot ultralight tuners
* Fender vintage bridge
* fender neck plate
* schaller strap locks
* celluloid pickguard
* warmoth tele knobs
* warmoth string retainer
* vintage pentometers and caps

I think this would be a bass that's easy on the back, but might sound like garbage due to the lightweight body.  Thoughts?  Advice?

Thanks!
Jason

The original was made from various woods. Alder, Ash, Basswood, Etc. Usually whatever Leo could get the cheapest. I don't see why using Ash now would make it sound "muddy". I'd say you should be OK. Maple and rosewood were also original materials, although now a days it would probably be a different variety of rosewood, but I don't think that should hurt you either.

PhilHill said:
The original was made from various woods. Alder, Ash, Basswood, Etc. Usually whatever Leo could get the cheapest. I don't see why using Ash now would make it sound "muddy". I'd say you should be OK. Maple and rosewood were also original materials, although now a days it would probably be a different variety of rosewood, but I don't think that should hurt you either.

Thanks for your input Phil!

Back