traynor ycv 50 amp

No but that's a beautiful amp... Traynor really thinks of everything.  I'd love to try one...

I caught this on Tivo the other week on Discovery.  Not real technical and doesn't answer the OP's question, but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmD1_3BCseQ

I have the YCV20... and I love it. Definitely a solid piece of kit with a lot more options than normally found at that price. It sounds like a hybrid between American and British amps. Like an old Fender Champ but with the warm midrange of a Marshall (I think that's due to the Celestion Greenback speaker). Not much clean headroom at volume, but mine's only an 18 W amp with 2 EL84 power tubes.

I think the YCV50 should be a great all-around amp for anything but metal playing. Of course you'll have a lot more clean headroom with the 50 W amp than I do with my 18 W.

One word of caution though... I don't know what your experience with tube amps is, but if you like the nice natural "edge of breakup" sound, you might want to go with a lower wattage. I personally don't care for pure 12AX7 preamp distortion, so getting the nice power tube saturation can only happen at reasonable volumes with a lower wattage amp. It all depends on how loud you need to be in your particular live playing situation!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Traynor Rules!  :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

callaway said:
I have the YCV20... and I love it. Definitely a solid piece of kit with a lot more options than normally found at that price. It sounds like a hybrid between American and British amps. Like an old Fender Champ but with the warm midrange of a Marshall (I think that's due to the Celestion Greenback speaker). Not much clean headroom at volume, but mine's only an 18 W amp with 2 EL84 power tubes.

I think the YCV50 should be a great all-around amp for anything but metal playing. Of course you'll have a lot more clean headroom with the 50 W amp than I do with my 18 W.

One word of caution though... I don't know what your experience with tube amps is, but if you like the nice natural "edge of breakup" sound, you might want to go with a lower wattage. I personally don't care for pure 12AX7 preamp distortion, so getting the nice power tube saturation can only happen at reasonable volumes with a lower wattage amp. It all depends on how loud you need to be in your particular live playing situation!

Isn't the 50W one switchable to 15W class A?

Yep.......
............If you're not worried about Biasing etc.  Pre-amp tubes, you can just pull the old ones and push in the new ones. Thats it.  Power tubes will theoretically need to be checked every time they are changed, unless you have a bulk order that are all perfectly matched to one another.

I've got one. It's pretty amazing. GREAT clean tone, especially for EL34's and a ton of gain if you want it. I've still got the stock tubes in it so it probably could sound better with a retube. Its got way more reverb than you'll ever need. The reverb isn't footswitchable so be aware of that. You can go just about anywhere between the two channels and boost on the overdrive but I still like to have an overdrive and/or volume boost in the effects loop to give me more variety of volume. It doesn't have any crazy controls, just volume and gain and eq on both channels. One of the cooler features is the master volume which controls the overall volume of the amp in addition to the independant channel volumes. There's a difference in tone between turning up the master volume and the channel volume. I'm not sure exactly how they did that but it seems like you can get closer to a power tube crunch by maxing out the channel volume. It's a pretty great amp but it's almost definately way louder than you want, unless you intend to play Wembley un-mic'd.

Justinginn said:
I've got one. It's pretty amazing. GREAT clean tone, especially for EL34's and a ton of gain if you want it. I've still got the stock tubes in it so it probably could sound better with a retube. Its got way more reverb than you'll ever need. The reverb isn't footswitchable so be aware of that. You can go just about anywhere between the two channels and boost on the overdrive but I still like to have an overdrive and/or volume boost in the effects loop to give me more variety of volume. It doesn't have any crazy controls, just volume and gain and eq on both channels. One of the cooler features is the master volume which controls the overall volume of the amp in addition to the independant channel volumes. There's a difference in tone between turning up the master volume and the channel volume. I'm not sure exactly how they did that but it seems like you can get closer to a power tube crunch by maxing out the channel volume. It's a pretty great amp but it's almost definately way louder than you want, unless you intend to play Wembley un-mic'd.

The master volume is before the power tubes, so you aren't actually pushing them any harder. By turning down the master volume and up the channel volume, you would actually be getting preamp distortion. But with a low gain and a high volume on the drive channel, you will get a really good tone. My YCV20 doesn't have the master volume, so getting that nice breakup on the gain channel requires low drive and volume nearly maxed, which is insanely loud. But the best sound out of my YCV20 is actually the clean channel with gain just under half and volume maxed. It's pure EL84 saturation, right on the hairy edge of breakup. It's a very AC/DC like tone. It's too loud to even play like that with my band though... 18W tube through a 12" speaker is very loud.

Anyway, the master volume is a very nice feature.

jimh said:
Yep.......
............If you're not worried about Biasing etc.  Pre-amp tubes, you can just pull the old ones and push in the new ones. Thats it.  Power tubes will theoretically need to be checked every time they are changed, unless you have a bulk order that are all perfectly matched to one another.
Oh, that makes a bit more sense.

Thanks everybody, i bought the ycv 50 blue combo and i`m very pleased , its awesome ,
If anybody is the market for a new one of these I have seen prices that go from as high as 779.00 to as low as 575 for a brand new one .
I bought it at pro adio star on ebay for 575.00,  nice people and good price .
next  is the extention cab.

For those interested in Traynor Lore,  here's an interesting clip.  The Old Traynors (from the 60's and 70's) were known to be loud and clean - but it is possible to overdrive them if you run them flat out and you are whacking the guitar really hard.  When you do this, the sound is very aggressive and cool, but it's at Skull Crushing volume.

This clip is a great example:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7KACnj2zc[/youtube]

That sound is outrageous. When I crank the clean channel of my YCV20 (when my wife is not home, of course), the breakup characteristic is very similar.

Oh, and that's an absolutely sick way to play slide guitar.

Back