Transplanting an Ilitch Noise Cancelling Coil

Jay Menon

I managed to acquire a Strat pickguard mounted Ilitch coil - and as usual there are complicating factors :)

It’s a 11 hole mint green;Mine is an 8 hole parchment.

The options are to fit the mint guard it as it is, or to transplant the coil across to my parchment Pickguard.

It is a black structure applied over the aluminium foil - and so I figure if the foil will come off easily (and in one piece) that would be the 'cleavage plane' to seek...

Bad idea? Fraught with danger? Most grateful for expert advice...

3L2zKDD.jpg

Under the black piece the pickguard is probably engraved for a wire channel. Removing it and trying to put it into another pickguard I dare say would not be an easy task and you would likely damage it.

Less risk by just using the 11 hole guard and re-drilling the body.

stratamania said:
Under the black piece the pickguard is probably engraved for a wire channel. Removing it and trying to put it into another pickguard I dare say would not be an easy task and you would likely damage it.

Less risk by just using the 11 hole guard and re-drilling the body.

I believe I'd have to agree on that. Removing it would indeed be a delicate operation, not prone to success.

Thanks guys - it had never struck me that the posterior surface go the pickguard might be engraved with a channel for the coil...

I agree drilling for the 11 hole, at least the holes will be covered if you decide to back to an 8 hole plate.

Back