Tips for putting single coil pickups in humbucker slots?

ACWraith

Forgive me as I've seen a similar thread in this forum, but it was from 2011 so I figured I should get a more current point of view.

I won't have the finances for quite a while, but I'm planning an HSH pickup build first intended for a dual humbucker setup which I hope may at one point also fit a triple single coil setup. The body I want (Musiclander) is not offered front-routed with a pickguard. I don't really have the tools/skill to do much woodworking on my end outside of drilling holes.

From what I've read, it seems the single coils would likely not fit wood-mounted. However, they might if they were installed in humbucker adapter rings or a pickguard. Is this currently the case? If so, could I order routing for wood-mounted HSH and then add the rings or pickguard at a later time? I'd just assume enjoy the ringless HH look until it's time to change. Especially if I order a laminate.

PS: Yes, I'm aware of single coils in humbucker form, but I'm not looking to have my choices limited.

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing has changed over time since the thread you posted with regard to your question.

For a rear rout type body you are pretty much in the territory of pick what you want and that is it.

You're on your own bro. There might be some pick up rings that cover stuff up.  That's a job for goggle.

You could always get a humbucker cover and stuff it inside. Or if you don't want covers, buy an $11 EBay special and pop the cheap ceramic bar magnet off the back and not hook up the dummy.

I know - and share the opinion that they're all ugly as sin. That's why I was suggesting a single in a cover that looks like a humbucker.

I'd be just as happy cutting my own pickguard design to make it better looking. A sheet for 10s of dollars doesn't scare me like a body finish that's 100s.  (Also, I apologize for not directing my reply as those links were probably more aimed at rick2 as proof I have indeed done some research before posting here.)

I just want to know if I'm stuck with the wood or I can fix it with plastic. It seems like stratamania says no while the rest of y'all are saying maybe so I'm still rather confused.

It's not about tone. Frell, I'd probably buy noiseless. It's about form factor modularity so I can stuff whatever I want in later. I realize it would be easier if I got a Strat with a universal route so I could even fit P90s. However, I play in classical position and really want that Musiclander's rear leg rest.

I have not actually said no... I said nothing has changed about the content of the thread you linked.

A rear rout is routed for a particular set of routs and that is it. You cannot order a different pickguard like you can with a front rout from Warmoth.

If you find a standard size humbucker ring like the one you have linked to that can accept a single coil that is an option (though not that great looking)

But if you are really set on a rear rout Musiclander perhaps get an HSH and a versatile set of pickups that in the long run will look better and cost less than swapping things out.

When sitting down I more often than not play in a classical position and a Strat or Tele works well for me.

Back to pickups, there are Humbuckers that sound reasonably single coil like when split such as a Fralin Unbucker and other options such as EMGs such as the 89 variants that change between a humbucker and a "single" coil type of set up. They actually have three coils and a different pair is used for each tone.

There are also some Joe Barden Two Tone humbuckers in an HSH set based on those with an S-Deluxe in S position along with some intelligent wiring options would give you a huge versatility.

@stratamania Doh. Sorry, I threw myself focusing too hard on the wrong sentence.

I would indeed try to get the most out of the wood-mounted pickups I initially get. I'd be quite happy using Pegasus & Sentient humbuckers. (I have ideas for the middle whether I wire it or not.) I'm just trying to look far ahead since I'll not likely be able to afford another build.

My current guitar is a Yamaha RGX 112, which is a 24.75' scale rear-routed HSS Strat variant. (It's a cheap '80s beginner guitar, but I love the neck.) I can't justify spending $500 or so on another Strat body just for scale and pickup routes. If I get a new body, I want leg rests for both positions. The Musiclander just seemed the most ergonomic option. Ideally, I'd have Warmoth do the neck and tremolo route, have a local person front-route the rest, and then have someone local with the proper air filtering & storage provide the finish I want. I have not had much luck looking in St Lawrence County, NY though. If they exist, their internet presence needs work.

Anyway, thanks all! If a pickguard I cut or a ring adapter I buy will do in a pinch, that's fine with me. When my wallet is prepared, I can order wood-mounted HSH and deal with whatever happens later.

Here is another option for you. Perhaps consider a top rout body blank, then cut or have cut the body to an ergonomic shape of your choice. One of those with a strat style top rout in an HSH or Universal rout would give you lots of possibilities.

A guitar tech can cut a pick guard for you.  Sorry got confused with another thread.

Could one get a pickguard plate prerouted to whatever pickup configuration and then overlay that over the pickup routes already on the guitar, and then shape that pickup accordingly?

If using a Warmoth body routed for a bridge humbucker, the adapter ring won't place the single coil in the same position as a SSS strat.    For a real strat, the middle of bridge pickup is 607.2mm from the nut, but on a Warmoth body, the middle of the bridge humbucker is 602.0mm from the nut.  I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the sound, but there's a 5.2mm difference in the placement.

Back