Tiger striped flame maple Strat - need to chill out

DeepSouth

I've just put my clams down on this beauty. It'll be my first Warmoth and boy I'm so excited about it. It's tiger striped flame maple on alder. The neck I bought is a compound radius maple job with Indian Rosewood. I'm just going to be installing a standard Fender US trem unit. Now I've got to somehow chill out and wait for the delivery way down in Sydney Australia.  :glasses10:

5966925660_ca12cb1812.jpg

Congrats Deepsouth  :icon_biggrin:
So it's NOT really 'Just out of the box' is it ...... But I know just how excited you are   :cool01:

Gee whiz ... that one only just come on the showcase in the last few days.
I forgot what colour the back was !!

DeepSouth said:
Now I've got to somehow chill out and wait for the delivery way down in Sydney Australia.

:icon_scratch:  I think you mean 'Dry Out' after the week or so we have just had...... Yep i'm from Sydney too.  :icon_thumright:
(Just near where the Helicopter Crashed last week)

Won't take long for delivery, i've had email with track # sent to me on fri usa time (sat here) & had it by monday morning 9.30 oz time.
Just depends on what your getting done to the Body & Neck ie: frets , nut etc to how long it will be.

Plus .... I bet ya, you'll be half way though this build, thinking about the next one..... Happened to me.

I just finished #3 & #4 is 90% done & have a Strat (top route) just delivered, sitting here (no neck yet for it) & have
a Strat (bottom route) with my 1st raw neck, coming this week.
Must be some type of disease ....   :doh:

Any other spec's ie: pickups using ?
Hope all goes well, don't forget some pic's.
Cheers  :eek:ccasion14: Updown

Edit .... found the back .... nice  Tiger Eye Finish with Transparent Brown

Attachments

• ps5895b.jpg
    ps5895b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 338
Hi there Updown - The weather has been absolutely atrocious that's for sure. I couldn't help posting it up before I received it - I get too excited about these things  :blob7: - nice guitars have the same effect on me as a kid drinking red cordial for some reason.   :laughing7:

I managed to find a 3-ply black  fully loaded strat pickguard with Fender CS Texas specials on Fleabay. I think with shipping from the US it worked out to be only a tad over $200AUD - pretty reasonable. I just bought a set of Texas Special's for my 89 G&L SC-3 and paid that much over here for the pickups alone. I'm not afraid of wiring stuff up - but if it's that reasonable I can't pass it up. I noticed they had also put conductive tape under the guard even around the pots and switching. The guard comes with white pckups and white tone/volume knobs - so I will try and get black knobs and pickup covers from somewhere - else I guess I don't mind the SRV look. I'm not sure whether to get chrome or black pickup guard screws...

Tuning pegs - I bought the Schaller locking mini tuners from warmoth. Hopefully they are OK. :dontknow:

The neck is  a Warmoth Pro Maple unit (vintage tint gloss finish) with an indian rosewood fretboard, 1 11/16" nut width and 6105 fretwire. It was a showcase neck so I assume they don't have to do anything to it. I think the tuners I ordered have the smallest ream so I imagine the neck would already have that diameter - but I did ask them to make sure the ream was correct for the tuners 

I also asked them to route the body for a fender USA strat tremolo and install the trem posts - I bought the trem from them so I don't have to ship anything to them for the installation. I hope the route doesn't muck the finish up? I assume they can do it if they provide the option.

Have you posted up some pics of your project? - it would be nice to have a peek at it  :glasses10:

Nice looking guitars are a disease that's for sure - I have fender deluxe tele on order and already have a bit of an arsenal accumulated over an embarrassing large number of years. One can not have enough guitars though can they? :toothy11:  I like the idea of spraying my own nitro and routing my own bodies etc and would be capable of it - but I'm wary of taking on too many extra jobs - I have my handful with landscaping my yard atm.

I'm at the other end of Sydney near Royal National Park btw. The helicopter crash was pretty nasty and sad that's for sure.

Yep they do that routing & don't worry on the route side of things, they do a great job.  :icon_thumright:

I've only used Sperzel Lok Tuners with Graph Tech Nuts, so can't comment on yours what your using.
Plus I like the vintage trem ... thats just me !
Thats a good score on the loaded pickguard. Well our $$$ sure help there.

The latest top route I got was HSH so then could always have a option on pickup choices, using different pickguards.
I scored a Mex Roland Ready Fully Loaded Body off ubuy recently & tossed a Warmoth Neck on it.

Got a Gibson LP Standard 2007 / SG 61' Reissue + Acoustics & Bass's etc etc etc etc

Just traded in a Gibson DarkFire, after building a Warmoth.

Here is my other builds
V  (experimental & will probable sell bits sometime)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16574.0

Strat 'The Cigar' (with GK-3 installed) Use this heaps, is just great to play !!
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16436.0
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16573.0

Strat  'The Flame' (just finished)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16707.0

FireBird 'EmuBird' (90% done)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16810.0

That should keep ya busy for a while :laughing7:
Cheers  :eek:ccasion14:

Very nice Deep South. Does that body have natural binding on it?
I bought my first Warmoth body a few weeks ago. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16943.0
I am in Deeper South, Melbourne..........bloody cold here.

That one looks really nice! Hopefully it gets there soon.

And we really need a "just ordered this" subforum for posting pictures, specs and mockups.  :glasses9:

That's a beautiful piece! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with how great it looks in real life. Warmoth does an incredible job.

I can appreciate your anxiety, too. After my first build, every time I order something I'm dancing around like a 4 year old who's drank too much soda pop <grin>

DeepSouth said:
The weather has been absolutely atrocious that's for sure.

You guys need to move to Queensland (like the rest of the southerners). Weather here's been a constant 21 for weeks now  :icon_biggrin:

btw ... congrats on the new build DeepSouth and welcome to the forums  :icon_thumright:

peter.k said:

Apparently it does - not sure what natural binding actually is to be honest. I am guessing it's wood rather than synthetic. The photo's from Warmoth don't really give me a good enough look to see exactly what it will be like.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone - I'll make sure I post progress reports when I actually receive the shipment and while I'm doing my build.

There are lots of nice guitars to look at while I'm waiting on this site - great for ideas.  :guitaristgif:

DeepSouth said:
peter.k said:

Apparently it does - not sure what natural binding actually is to be honest. I am guessing it's wood rather than synthetic. The photo's from Warmoth don't really give me a good enough look to see exactly what it will be like.  

Actually, "natural binding" isn't binding at all. What they do is mask off the edges of the figured wood top before they color coat it, remove the mask once the finish is on, then clear coat it and buff it out. It creates the appearance of a very fine binding that would be difficult to do using traditional methods. It's a cosmetic thing, since solid bodies don't require or benefit from binding at all. It was originally used on acoustic guitars to hide the glue joints at the edges, then Gibson popularized it on their electrics to differentiate them from "cheap" Fenders.

Cagey said:
Actually, "natural binding" isn't binding at all. What they do is mask off the edges of the figured wood top before they color coat it, remove the mask once the finish is on, then clear coat it and buff it out. It creates the appearance of a very fine binding that would be difficult to do using traditional methods. It's a cosmetic thing, since solid bodies don't require or benefit from binding at all. It was originally used on acoustic guitars to hide the glue joints at the edges, then Gibson popularized it on their electrics to differentiate them from "cheap" Fenders.

So that's how they do it eh... I'm sure it's a great effect - looking forward to seeing it for real.  :eek:ccasion14:

I'm sure you'll like it. It's very attractive. My first and second Warmoth bodies both have it, and it's one of the first things that draws comments from people. Then they get ahold of the neck, and it's all over. "I gotta build one of these!"

I have only seen the binding in pictures. Makes sense to do it that way. It sure does look great.

Cagey said:
Looks even better in real life. Don't be afraid to order it.

OH How true this is, indeed .... as i've a new Strat body (won't highjack this post thou) sitting in front of me.
It's my 1st body with 'Natural Masked Binding'  :eek:  Just like this one has.

After opening the box & getting it out & going WOW & other words I can't post here !!
I sat there starring / drooling over it for about 1/2 hour or so.

Then realised I had dribbled all over my iMac keyboard  :toothy11:
Absolutely Gorgeous  :icon_thumright:

I also have the black pin stripping on the FireBird i'm building. Thats nothing compared to 'Natural Masked"

Top Notch I reckon  :glasses9:

Next will sure have that too.

Can't wait to see some pics! Going to be a beautiful build
Stew said:
DeepSouth said:

You guys need to move to Queensland (like the rest of the southerners). Weather here's been a constant 21 for weeks now  :icon_biggrin:

btw ... congrats on the new build DeepSouth and welcome to the forums  :icon_thumright:

Queensland weather is great especially this winter, but the bogans i can not stand haha

Thanks very much Tomo - I will certainly post up some reasonably detailed pictures of the build - when I've actually got something to post up that is  :icon_smile:

At the moment I'm still waiting for Warmoth to ship - so I am just sitting back and patiently chewing my nails - but I've used the time fruitfully and I've ordered all my other bits and pieces  - so hopefully it should  be over very quickly. I guess the only thing that could hold me up is if the neck and nut needs some additional fretwork. We'll just have to wait and see about that.

Tomo said:
Can't wait to see some pics! Going to be a beautiful build
Stew said:
DeepSouth said:

Queensland weather is great especially this winter, but the bogans i can not stand haha

:icon_biggrin: we're not all bogans Tomo ... some of us are quite sophisticated  :eek:ccasion14:

Back