Tiger eye strat + my boo boo

Updown

:sad:

:sad:

As I've mentioned before in other posts about the place, that I stuffed up on this build.
My 1st real bad stuff up on builds to date.  :tard:

Other Just out the box pic's here ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20697.0

I saw this body and bought it as soon as it came onto the showcase.
Stupid me forgot to get the switch configuration done when ordered.
By the time I had noticed, it was already on it's voyage to Australia.

I thought that was at least lucky I had it routed as 2 x Hum.  Only needed a LP Toggle switch hole drilled.
Thought that would be no drama as I've drilled plenty of holes before on my builds.
Should be a breeze …..

NOPE …. I stuffed it up  :sad1:
Used the proper drill bits (brad point) …… did what I normally do.
When I drilled it, the bloody drill decided to play up …… It's well and truly in the bin now.
Blowed the drill dust to the never never (the garage floor) then peeled back the tape slowly.

OH CRAP ….. YOU BLOODY IDIOT  :doh:

Took a decent chip of maple out on one side.
Now where is that chipped bit of maple …. Oh yeah on the floor somewhere …. couldn't find that amongst the crap.

OH CRAP ….. WHAT TO DO  :icon_scratch:

Before even taking a pic of that disaster, In my panic state, I grabbed a brown texta and coloured in the chipped out bit.
Don't ask .... I just did it.
Then tried the toggle switch in and could still see the chipped area on the out side.
Found a stainless steal washer, which had to be bigger in size than the normal one on the toggle switch, to cover it.
Thicker than what I want, will try and find a thinner one someday.
Using that washer JUST covered the chipped area.
It's all I could think of doing, if the chip went any further, might have ended up on fleabay.  :dontknow:

Pic's will show all ……

I also stained the inside of the pup routs, as it's wood mounted Hums. Just looks better.

Think I better change my user name to Chip or DHead    :icon_biggrin:

Suppose it's not as bad as drilling right though a body thou ….

Here ya go then
….. let the stirring begin 

What would you people have done ?

8f0fa212.jpg

file_zpsb88dc125.jpg

file_zps33083b22.jpg

file_zps115924f9.jpg

file_zps0dc4ccc9.jpg

file_zps8cfebc87.jpg

OOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPS  :doh:

I'VE OMITTED THE EXPLETIVES THAT I USED  :icon_biggrin:

file_zps8f18a2c3.jpg

file_zps5c6d98c6.jpg

file_zps8e97bea6.jpg

file_zps3cdc0984.jpg

Very damn nice recovery!! But think of all the pain that could have been avoided entirely if you'd simply shipped the thing to me before attempting any of that drilling crap! :redflag:
Seriously, you done good...

Looking good.  Not to worry.  I think we have all been there.  Just check out Mayflys thread on his Les Paul Special...Washers are great!

I have never really determinded the best way to do that.  REALLY sharp bits help...so does a drill press but not everyone has access to it.  I have also used a file, downward motion only.

It really doesn't show at all. You might want to try a black washer - it might look nice, like having the black neck plate pad.

Jumble Jumble said:
It really doesn't show at all. You might want to try a black washer - it might look nice, like having the black neck plate pad.

brass would work too.

You dodged a bullet there. Still looks good, and as if you'd done it on purpose.

In the future, invest in some (good) Forstner bits. You don't need a whole set; the three you need for guitar work are the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". They drill super-clean holes even in through fully cured lacquer or polyurethane.

IMG_1073_Sm.JPG

Also, avoid hand tools. You'll never be steady/true enough. A drill press is the thing to use here.

Updown said:
What would you people have done ?

1. I never make such a fault.
2. I never admit to have made such a fault.
3. When I do - I call it battle scars and stop bother about it.

Seriously - you made a good save and got more experienced on the way. And that piece of lumber will still rock your heart out. So ...  :rock-on:

Cheers guys  :icon_thumright:

Yep, just when you know it's there yourself, your eyes seem to acknowledge it 1st of all.
I'll keep my eyes out for thinner and different coloured washers, just to see if any better that this.

I've shown every build that I have done, so I had no drama showing my boo boo.
Just slightly embarrassed  :toothy11:  .... but ya can't see me anyway  :doh:
Part of learning I suppose  :dontknow:

Probably more shocked  :eek:  because I'd done it plenty of times before, with ease.
Oh well that's life !!

The other thing that bugged me on this build is the different looking chrome parts.
The Wilky trem looks more aluminium coloured. (if I knew that, would've gone black hardware)
The knobs and switch are chrome.
The Bare Knuckle pups are those Tyger covered ones, which have a slight golden tinge to them. (knew they were different)
(pic's will show)

file_zps78fdbaf6.jpg

Hi Murray--I gotta say I hate it when someone posts on the forum "Nice lookin' guitar, but I woulda...". If YOU "woulda" then BUILD YER OWN DAMN GUITAR AN' DO IT!! Whew, I feel better now...But, since you're kinda asking for feedback, my impeccable aesthetic sense tells me the black looks best; there's enough shiny metal already, and creme doesn't really match the creme color of the binding so well. Black just kinda eeeeeaases on in there an looks tasty...All that overblown opinionation (I think I just made-up that word) don't mean a gnats crap in the end 'cause it's YOUR GUITAR, but you did ask...didn't you? I'll shut up now!
BTW :icon_biggrin:, who makes those cool mega-knurled knobs? 

Yeah I know  ... I usually make my own mind up anyway  :doh:

Knobs are here .... Heavy Knurled
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_barrelknobs.htm
2nd from the left, 2nd bottom row MK-0112-010

I was really just showing the different colours of chrome. That don't match.

Cheers  :icon_biggrin:

Back