Threaded Inserts + Locknuts + Spring Claw

cdub

I’m curious if anyone has ever tried using nylon locknuts to rigidly couple the spring claw to the guitar body on a Fender or Floyd vibrato bridge? This requires 8/32 stainless threaded inserts be installed in the spots where the claw screws normally go. If you used 8/32 stainless machine screws with flat-bottom heads (not oval heads), and a washer against the wall of the spring cavity, then, a locknut both againt the washer (rigidly freezing the machine screw against the body) and the back side of the claw (freezing the claw against the screw heads), would this not potentially cause the whole assembly to transfer vibration more effectively? Almost a reduction in moving or floating parts. I hear a difference with 5 springs (YES even on a floating setup)... I got the idea from looking at a pic of an installed Tremel-No claw.

I understand there is 100 lbs of tension on the standard spring claws, when strung and tuned to standard pitch (ballparking here), but what if there were 100lbs of torque in the opposite direction as well, pushing the locked claw into the wood wih as much force as possible, coupling the assembly even when the springs are totally removed?

It’s like a port & polish on an engine. Multiple tiny gains in efficiency can add up to get you that much closer to the transfer of a hardtail bridge. Now, we just make the srings into hydraulic pistons... JOKING.

I’m sure I’m being nerdy, and I’m almost sure that I’m overthinking a setup that already works fine since 1954... BUT... If you can hear ‘back cover removed’, ‘5 springs’, ‘threaded insert neck joint’ etc differences, it’s worth a shot in the name of science. Totally theoretical question, I’m not suggesting anyone actually do this to all their prized axes.

I have seen those before, now that you mention it. Schaller makes some amazing parts! That’s a better mousetrap for sure.

My homebrew locking claw idea, if it helps with resonant transfer, is much cheaper, but that’s all I’ve got!

In fact the only reason for the threaded inserts was to get those 8/32 thread bolts in there, to give locknuts a way to enter the equation functionally. It was suggested to me to instead use a metal plate with threaded holes that screwed to the wall of the cavity.

Schaller part also adds weight a.k.a. mass. Paging Dr. VanHalen...

Gotta be honest, I’m waiting on a “killer claw” to arrive from KGC... I was thinking about ways to make the purported effect more pronounced. The only “effect” I’m liable to see is the one about being x dollars lighter in my wallet... I’ll let you know!

My sure claw broke before it went into action. I can tell you that there are hardly any vibrations making it through the springs, so I don’t think you’d notice any appreciable increase in sustain. I like where your head is at, though.

KGC make good parts. A big block can make a difference.

stratamania said:
It might not make much difference if any as you still have springs as Frank mentions.

And then most of us dampen them a bit, so they don’t give off annoying sympathetic overtones.

Back