Thoughts? Whitewashed Finish Plan

CJT1775

Greetings all. Starting my first partscaster project, and am currently anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Thinline style Rosser Guitars body... I will be putting a Warmoth neck on it, so I hope it’s ok I’m throwing this in this forum! The body is swamp ash. I’ve never finished a guitar before, but have been doing a decent amount of reading and YouTube-watching regarding the topic. Was hoping to get some thoughts and advice on my tentative plan for a whitewashed-ish finish.

Plan: black grain filler, to highlight the grain; followed by a few coats of an oil-based white pickling stain; finished with Linseed Oil (all with the appropriate sanding in between coats and whatnot). Would these substances all jive together ok? I would imagine, if it works correctly, it would end up looking like a lightly vintage-tinted white wash. Thoughts?

Small bump and looking for a recommendation for a grain filler - I found an oil-based white pickling stain, and will use either tung oil/tru oil/linseed oil to finish. All of the grain fillers I find are water-based. Will this be an issue, seeing as I plan on using oil-based products following filing the grain?

Back