Thoughts on super jumbo frets?

cromulent

I typically use 6105 or 6150, but am considering 6100 at some point.  How pronounced is the size difference?  Any and all thoughts/opinions welcome!

I think you would notice that they are a bit bigger. They are great for bending IMO. If you tend to squeeze the strings hard against the fret board, you can inadvertently pull notes or parts of chords sharp. I recently tried the 6115's which are tall but not as big, I like them too. Give em a go! (6100's) you may love them! :icon_thumright:

Spud said:
I think you would notice that they are a bit bigger. They are great for bending IMO. If you tend to squeeze the strings hard against the fret board, you can inadvertently pull notes or parts of chords sharp. I recently tried the 6115's which are tall but not as big, I like them too. Give em a go! (6100's) you may love them! :icon_thumright:

I was thinking 6115s, but they are the same height as 6105 and 6150, right?

cromulent said:
Spud said:

I was thinking 6115s, but they are the same height as 6105 and 6150, right?

The 6115's are just a bit taller than 6105's .047 vs .051

BTW-I went with the 6115's on a conversion neck instead of 6100's which I felt might take up too much real estate on a 24 3/4 scale. I like them on that neck. Not sure if I would like them better on a 25.5 standard Fender scale neck or not? I went back to 6100's for a tele neck I am waiting on.

I think I'll try the 6115 (med jumbo peaked) next time, especially if it's a conversion.  I think I'd like the extra height even on a fender scale anyway though.

I would say give the 6100s a try. I would not consider them to be super jumbo, just jumbo. And no they do not really feel like you are playing on a scalloped neck, for anyone who has played an actual scalloped neck.

Dunlop 6000 size is more of a super jumbo.

stratamania said:
I would say give the 6100s a try. I would not consider them to be super jumbo, just jumbo. And no they do not really feel like you are playing on a scalloped neck, for anyone who has played an actual scalloped neck.

Though 6100's do not equate to a scalloped neck, with a heavy hand. you can pull notes sharp on them. There is an adjustment period. Depends on the player. :icon_thumright:

If you want your fingers up off of the fingerboard for the majority of your playing, 6100’s are fine, you’ll only feel the fingerboard occasionally when you dig in to bend. 

Scalloped fingerboards aren’t for the gain of heart or heavy handed.  If you have a very light touch on the fingerboard, the acclimatization is tolerable.

Spud said:
stratamania said:

Though 6100's do not equate to a scalloped neck, with a heavy hand. you can pull notes sharp on them. There is an adjustment period. Depends on the player. :icon_thumright:

Obviously it depends on the player, being able to play any guitar in tune.
They are not to me equivalent in playing feel as I do have 6100s and also scalloped boards.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
If you want your fingers up off of the fingerboard for the majority of your playing, 6100’s are fine, you’ll only feel the fingerboard occasionally when you dig in to bend. 

Scalloped fingerboards aren’t for the gain of heart or heavy handed.  If you have a very light touch on the fingerboard, the acclimatization is tolerable.

That is why I like scalloped boards for certain styles so I don't feel the board at all when bending etc.

I have 2 guitars with 6100s. They're huge. Taller and wider than 6150 (which is my favorite). I had a guitar with 6105s and did not like how tall they are with respect to width.

Back