Third happiest day of my life

Mad Hatter

What, you ask, were the first two?  Well, they both involve ex-wives, but this comes next for sure  :hello2:.  After years of working on pre-made guitars, frankenstein projects, and the like, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a full-on Warmoth custom, and it came today.  Almost four weeks early, too!  I'm new to the forum, and only stumbled on it after I ordered this, but have been watching others jealously as they work on their projects.  Can't believe the way this thing looks.  I don't have to work tonight, so it won't be too many hours before I'm tearing into this girl.  Here are the specs and the first round of pics.  Hopefully I did the pics correctly through photobucket.  However, somehow in all the excitement, I forgot to order a truss rod cover, and a tremolo cavity cover  :laughing7: but those are minor items to pick up.  And after seeing it, I may have to invest in a custom neck plate.

BODY:
Carved top LP, contoured heel
Mahogany body
Unique choice quilt top (money well spent)
H X H, Wilkinson Trem route
One volume, one tone, 3 way LP switch
Tigers eye dye
Black binding
Transparent brown back finish
Recessed cup output jack

NECK
25.5 scale
Warmoth radius
Wolfgang profile
Mahogany with ebony fingerboard
Oval  pearloid inlays
1 11/16" graph tech black TUSQ nut
6150 SS Frets
Clear satin nitro finish (which feels amazing btw)
Drilled for planet waves auto trim locking tuners

GIBLETS:
copper shielded cavities
black round top knobs
black switch & pickup rings
schaller strap locks
Seymore Duncan SH1N '59 model neck pickup
Gibson Dirty Fingers bridge pickup
Wilkinson trem
Planet wave auto trim lockers

I went with mostly black hardware so it would hopefully blend in and not detract from the quilt top.  Decided on chrome bridge and tuners for durability.  This guitar is going to get played a lot, and I sweat like a fool at shows and I've never had good luck with black bridges or tuners holding up.  The finish always seems to get eaten away in the long run from sweat and abrassion.  And at first look, I can't say enough good things about the construction of the Wilkinson bridge.  It looks like its really well built.  Time to crack the jack and get busy on this thing.  :eek:ccasion14:

IMGP0082.jpg

Went with ovals for something a bit different without being over the top

IMGP0084.jpg

To say I'm satisfied with the satin nitro finish on the neck would be an understatement.  Feels like raw wood.  awesomeness :dontknow: (might be a real word?)

IMGP0085.jpg

And now the box with all the goodies in it

IMGP0086.jpg

The depth of the finish is nuts!

IMGP0087.jpg

Went for subtlety with the black binding

IMGP0088.jpg

And of course had to do a couple of quick mock-ups with some hardware held in by gravity

IMGP0090.jpg

IMGP0089.jpg

Here's some I took outside before the sun went down.  Natural light really makes the top come alive.

IMGP0092.jpg

IMGP0095.jpg

IMGP0093.jpg

IMGP0094.jpg

Well, I've got an ex-wife too, and I like your guitar better than I like her, and I haven't even heard you guitar scream yet.  Although that may be part of the draw...

Seriously,  nice choices.  Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Peace

Bagman

:blob7: ........ Oh yeah baby ......  :icon_thumright:

I just love black binding and looks fantastic on that colour  :eek: 
Yep satin nitro is pretty close feeling, to a Raw neck.

One unique Warmoth you have there  :hello2:

:kewlpics:

I like that neck a lot. I think the ovals inlays look great on the ebony. Good choice on just a master tone and volume.

SD 59 in the neck is an EXCELLENT choice. I'm not a super fan of SD PU's but a '59 in the neck sounds really good to my ear.

so I've been wrenching on this thing most of the night (night shifter & my night off), and the pleasant surprise was the two tone black/chrome on the tuners, which actually will kind of tie in the black and chrome hardware options on the bottom half.  Now I need a truss rod cover to be the missing link.  Maybe something ebony with some pearloid in it or something.  Guess I probably ought to move this over to the "work in progress" pages at this point.  Thanks for all the kind words as well.  I wasn't really sure if it was going to look as good in person as I thought it would when I ordered it.  Well, back to massaging the neck pocket.  :party07:

Nice Lester you got yourself there, it is surely worthy of a custom neck plate. How about a custom engraved truss rod cover to go with it...? :icon_biggrin:

Here's an example I did a matching set, neck plate truss rod cover..
JCcombo-1.jpg

photobucket-41776-1338188561382.jpg

Book.jpg

Ok, you've got my attention  :eek:
Are there limitations on the complexity of the artwork, and what type of format do you need the file in?

Very nice work by the way.  i'm thinking that may be just what the doctor ordered.  :headbang:

It can be detailed to an extent, you just have to remember the area of realestate we're dealing with. Usually I'll just say shoot me you got and I'll look over it and let you know if its doable or not. Sometimes I can remove some detail and still keep the main portion of the drawing. The file format doesn't matter, I can usually convert it to what I need to work with. :headbang1:

Good haul!  :headbang1:

I'm 31 and on wives or ex-wives yet, knock on mahagony.  :laughing3:

JCizzle said:
Good haul!  :headbang1:

I'm 31 and on wives or ex-wives yet, knock on mahagony.  :laughing3:

Everyone needs at least one of each (an ex and a Warmoth), they build character.  :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
It can be detailed to an extent, you just have to remember the area of realestate we're dealing with. Usually I'll just say shoot me you got and I'll look over it and let you know if its doable or not. Sometimes I can remove some detail and still keep the main portion of the drawing. The file format doesn't matter, I can usually convert it to what I need to work with. :headbang1:

Sweet.  I'll start kicking around some ideas as I build and holler at ya when I've got some stuff for you to take a look at.  Will definately be the topper on the cake  :icon_jokercolor:

Mad Hatter said:
DangerousR6 said:

Sweet.  I'll start kicking around some ideas as I build and holler at ya when I've got some stuff for you to take a look at.  Will definately be the topper on the cake  :icon_jokercolor:
:icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:

You have an email address that I can send some artwork to, for you to look at?  :eek:ccasion14:

Yeah, I really couldn't be happier with it.  It has really nice "shift" to it when you move it back and forth in the light.  I'm still thinkin' I maybe should have gone with matching head stock laminate.  :dontknow: Oh well, maybe next time.

Back