Thinking of staining and poly on maple headstock

C

Cowbell Fever!

Anyone with more experience stained a maple head stock black and then poly? Or will maple require paint?

I was just thinking of satin black, but I may skip it. I don't think stain is gonna penetrate the maple well.

Spud said:
I was just thinking of satin black, but I may skip it. I don't think stain is gonna penetrate the maple well.

Dyes will penetrate maple well, otherwise PRS would be out of business.
Sand, then moist with water to open up the grain.
Warmoth puts a penetrating sealer on their necks (it can be ordered without) but another member had no problem staining the neck despite it.

The end result will not be a uniformly black color, and some grain lines may not take the dye well.
On plain maple the end result could be blotchy but it should be fine with a highly concentrated dye and several passes.
You may also have a hard time keeping a clear line between the front and sides of the headstock though.

If you are trying to approximate the look of a solid painted headstock you will likely be disappointed.

DrSeb said:
Spud said:

Dyes will penetrate maple well, otherwise PRS would be out of business.
Sand, then moist with water to open up the grain.
Warmoth puts a penetrating sealer on their necks (it can be ordered without) but another member had no problem staining the neck despite it.

The end result will not be a uniformly black color, and some grain lines may not take the dye well.
On plain maple the end result could be blotchy but it should be fine with a highly concentrated dye and several passes.
You may also have a hard time keeping a clear line between the front and sides of the headstock though.

If you are trying to approximate the look of a solid painted headstock you will likely be disappointed.
Thank you for tking the time to respond. I was worried about keeping the edge sharp. Also, was thinking it would look close to a painted headstock. I probably will leave well enough alone.

Two coats...

Attachments

• two coats.JPG
    two coats.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 41
Back