The "720" Mod

Torment Leaves Scars

Not sure which category this would fall into, but I figure since it's neck-related, this place is as good as any to post.  :help:

This has bothered me for quite some time.  I believe this "720" mod is a fairly current Warmoth option, which lays the neck flat against the body of the guitar.  I don't believe this was available at the time I purchased my body/neck.

Anyway, my neck does not have the "720" mod, and the "lip" of the neck sits slightly higher than the body at the neck joint.  I always thought this was a bit strange, and quite honestly, I think it also looks a bit on the cheap side, as if the body/neck just aren't made for each other. 

Aside from a slight visual "annoyance," if I can even call it that, is there any advantage in sound or playability to having the "720" mod?  From what I understand a neck without the "720"  mod is needed for a guitar with a pick guard like that of a Strat or Tele, but what about guitars without pick guards?

It isn't a neck option, it's a body option.  Somehow the 720 mod has created confusion where I see none.
I have included my flowchart I (crudely) made many moons ago.

You cannot 720 mod a body if:
you're buying a showcase body
you're needing an angled neck pocket (TOMs, bodymount (non-recessed) floyds)
you're using a pickguard
you're going to use a neck w/binding

*edit* I made the flowchart Feb 24 2010, so that must've been about the time that the option was first available

Attachments

• 720_Mod.jpg
    720_Mod.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,216
To answer your specific question, the 720 mod is really a fit and finish kind of thing. It's to get rid of that overhang where the pickguard would be under the fingerboard extension on a top-routed strat/tele/etc. It makes no difference in tone whatsoever (okay, maybe to Eric Johnson, but no one else would hear it). The only possible playability improvement is that it makes the overall thickness of the neck joint just less than 1/10" thinner, which could conceivably make it easier to play up high, but a countoured heel is cheaper and more effective at that, so......

On another note, you actually could use a 21 fret neck with the 720 mod and a pickguard as there's no fretboard overhang to cause problems with the pickguard. I guess you could also deepen the neck pocket area of the pickguard to remove the part that would fit under the extension if you really wanted to. But regardless, W won't do it on a top-route body, so you'd have to do it yourself in that case.

Damon said:
To answer your specific question, the 720 mod is really a fit and finish kind of thing. It's to get rid of that overhang where the pickguard would be under the fingerboard extension on a top-routed strat/tele/etc. It makes no difference in tone whatsoever (okay, maybe to Eric Johnson, but no one else would hear it). The only possible playability improvement is that it makes the overall thickness of the neck joint just less than 1/10" thinner, which could conceivably make it easier to play up high, but a countoured heel is cheaper and more effective at that, so......

On another note, you actually could use a 21 fret neck with the 720 mod and a pickguard as there's no fretboard overhang to cause problems with the pickguard. I guess you could also deepen the neck pocket area of the pickguard to remove the part that would fit under the extension if you really wanted to. But regardless, W won't do it on a top-route body, so you'd have to do it yourself in that case.

I went with the contoured heel on mine.  It's still a bit tough to reach those rear frets, even with it. 

back2thefutre said:
Can you do a 720 mod and a contoured heel too?

Yes you can, this is what my strat has. Can't comment on playability yet as it's still in progress.

It is a visual thing and would not have any advantage in playability or tone aspects of the guitar. The above flow chart highlights the dos and don'ts of the mod very well ( and credit to whoever set that up as it will solve a lot of "what-ifs...?"  :icon_thumright: ).

How often would you play that far up on the fretboard?

OzziePete said:
It is a visual thing and would not have any advantage in playability or tone aspects of the guitar. The above flow chart highlights the dos and don'ts of the mod very well ( and credit to whoever set that up as it will solve a lot of "what-ifs...?"  :icon_thumright: ).

Never for me. I have the 720 mod though, I didn't want the fretboard sticking up in the air.

Cletus said:
OzziePete said:

Never for me. I have the 720 mod though, I didn't want the fretboard sticking up in the air.

Not sure when Warmoth started offering the "720," but had I known about it when I bought, I would've gotten it.  Not a big deal, but I think it looks kinda lame with that "lip" sticking up in the air off the body.  :help:

I assume it's probably way too late to have a "720" mod done to the body.

You can get the 720 mod on a showcase body IF you are having some other routing done as well (pickups, trem, etc)

Torment Leaves Scars said:
Good luck with finding one of those in West Virginia!

I lived there for the first 23 years of my life. I feel your pain.

What part of the state are you in? I grew up near Martinsburg then spent 5 years in Morgantown bwfore moving to AZ after college.

Damon said:
Torment Leaves Scars said:
Good luck with finding one of those in West Virginia!

I lived there for the first 23 years of my life. I feel your pain.

What part of the state are you in? I grew up near Martinsburg then spent 5 years in Morgantown bwfore moving to AZ after college.

I live in Kearneysville/Martinsburg.  Not a bad place to live, but just not an impression of a whole lot of competance when it comes to things like healthcare, music, automotive repair, etc...

Wow, we were practically neighbors. Grew up in Inwood, Musselman class of 95.

At least you're fairly close to some larger cities. You could be in some backwater holler in the middle of the state. Have you checked Winchester or Hagerstown for a good guitar tech and/or luthier? What about closer to Baltimore or DC? I never really needed one when I lived there, so I don't have any recommendations. I have a friend who lives in Kearneysville and is very active as a bassist (Allen Hutzler, if you know him). I can see if he knows anyone in the area if you want.

Haven't been back to that neck of the woods in nearly a decade since my dad passed and my mom moved to Fredrick. Out of curiosity, is K&B Music still open in the Martinsburg Mall? I bought my first two guitars there many moons ago. Good people.

Damon said:
Wow, we were practically neighbors. Grew up in Inwood, Musselman class of 95.

At least you're fairly close to some larger cities. You could be in some backwater holler in the middle of the state. Have you checked Winchester or Hagerstown for a good guitar tech and/or luthier? What about closer to Baltimore or DC? I never really needed one when I lived there, so I don't have any recommendations. I have a friend who lives in Kearneysville and is very active as a bassist (Allen Hutzler, if you know him). I can see if he knows anyone in the area if you want.

Haven't been back to that neck of the woods in nearly a decade since my dad passed and my mom moved to Fredrick. Out of curiosity, is K&B Music still open in the Martinsburg Mall? I bought my first two guitars there many moons ago. Good people.

K&B is still around, though not in the mall.  They have their own location on Rt.11 these days.  I've purchased a few things from tgem, and yes, they are very nice people.

I have the 720, 24 frets, a contoured heel, and a pickguard (custom cut ofc)  :laughing7:

How often do I use all those frets?  Never.  Are they easy to reach?  Not at all.

But I like that they're there :)

Back