Telecaster bridge string spacing

barely real

I'm about to embark on my first partscaster tele and will be using a Warmoth neck (1.650 nut width if that matters) and a body that is currently being built by a friend of mine. The bridge can be drilled to whatever specs I want. I've read some posts suggesting that the heel on Warmoth necks might be better suited to modern 2-1/16" tele bridge spacing, as the wider 2-1/8" spacing can lead to the high e slipping off the fretboard.

Is there any validity to this?

If so, are there any 3 barrel compensated saddle tele bridges that folks could point me to? The only one I've found that meets that criteria is a Fender American Professional bridge, which doesn't seem very popular.

The spacing should be fine. I have a tele with a 1.650 nut and vintage bridge, I've never had an issue with it. I don't find the E strings are extremely close to the edge. It should be fine.

Mayfly said:
barely real said:
Is there any validity to this?

Nope.  I'll get a pic later to illustrate.

Ok cool! I like the vintage spaced bridge options much better, so long as I don't have to deal with any high E problems. For what it's worth, the thread that raised this as a point of concern for me is here: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=31400.0

The other thread is correct. However one thing if you are using a tele bridge with three saddles they often come without any slots in the bridge saddles. You then space the strings as you need and slot them yourself.

Despite the risk, I think I might just go for a vintage spaced 3 saddle bridge (Gotoh "In-Tune" looks good to me) and see if I have problems, as the vintage bridges seem to work for most people. If I have problems with the outer strings then I can get unslotted saddles and file them as you suggest. I feel like I'm overcomplicating things and getting hung up on this part of the build, so I'll just use the Gotoh as a starting point and troubleshoot, if necessary, from there. 

Excellent choice.  I've used that bridge many times with good results. 

Pics coming I promise...

Here you go:

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 1,326
  • IMG_6017.jpg
    IMG_6017.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 1,311
Back