Talk me out of this non-warmoth purchase

clearerphish

You have 24 hours or Friday is New Guitar Day.

al3100tribalredslimgoldhw1.jpg

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100tredwidegoldhw.html

Agile AL-3100 LP copy
Extra wide neck for comfortable playing - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 3/4"; at the 21st fret: 2 1/4"
Solid mahogany (not a multi-ply!) arch top body
Graph Tec NVS 2 Bridge with string saver saddles.
High quality Book-Matched Flame Canadian Maple Top (100% real wood top-not a photo top!)
Triple bound body, and headstock. Single binding on neck.
Gold die-cast Grover tuners with 18-1 turning ratio for ultra fine tuning (Model 102-18N)
Two Type V Alnico humbucker pickups for warm, tradional sound
The AL-3100 comes with improved wiring, improved pots (now higher voltage with brass shafts for reduced noise) and an improved pickup selector switch
Two volume and two tone controls, plus a three way pickup selector switch
One piece Mahogany set neck with 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play and adjustable truss rod
Ebony fretboard with 22 Jumbo frets and real Mother-Of-Pearl Trapezodial inlays
The AL-3100 features D'addario strings installed at the factory and a professionally cut Graph Tech Nut
Individually hand filed frets for professional feel and playability
Neck taper/thickness at the 1st fret: 21.5 mm; at the 12th fret: 23.5mm
Overall length: 40"; Scale length: 24.7"
Body thickness: 2" at edge; Width at the widest point: 13"
Bridge pole spacing is 3", and the Tail piece pole spacing is 3 1/4"
Actual Weight is only 10 lbs

Guessing: you just like the top. Everything else is nothing special. You could make one with just as good a top from W, and with everything else really amazing too.

from what I understand Agile make a nice guitar.  You will want to change the pick ups though.

Jumble Jumble said:
Guessing: you just like the top. Everything else is nothing special. You could make one with just as good a top from W, and with everything else really amazing too.

I like the price. I'm not likely to drop 2k to build an LP from Warmoth. I can get this and a hard case shipped to my office for $506 complete. That's a carved top set-neck LP with a superwide neck, solid mahogany core, two piece curly maple top, jumbo frets...

Even if I had to replace all the hardware and electrics I'm out less than the cost of an unfinished LP body and neck from W.

Agile's have excellent reviews no matter where you look them up. I'm GAS-ing HARD over this one.

it sounds like you have already decided...congrats, an agile is a fine guitar...i have played a rondo before...it was decent...

my only point is that when you build something from scratch, and pick every component, pickup, pot, capacitor etc. you
really have a special bond with the instrument.

after building four warmoths, i can say that i would never buy an already assembled guitar again.  i enjoy the process of
building too much.  it truly is as much fun putting it together, as it is playing it.

enjoy that rondo (agile)...and i bet you will still build that warmoth down the line...cheers

clearerphish said:
I already have a Warmoth and will build another without question.

sorry, i thought you were a new member and contemplating a first build (my bad)...i just noticed you have 400 posts to your account.

i rather like rondo, i am tempted by the 9 string guitars that they offer...i just can't stop thinking about the tuning possibilities.  i would not
use it for that sludge metal stuff...i honestly think it would be a great instrument for other genres.  if only i could talk warmoth into offering
9 strings...

i think my only think holding me back from building one is that i am afraid of getting "lost" on the fretboard...lol...i would definitely like to
try playing a 9 string before comitting to building one...funny, i can't find one at any of the guitar stores in town...

happy ngd (friday)

I have a semi custom Agile AS-1000 12 string and I currently on my warmoth build #6 and #7.  :icon_biggrin:

I have tried two other Agiles as well.

The Agiles are good guitars - not on par with Warmoth quality wise - but good guitars. And Agiles offer some option you cannot get with Warmoth - notably set necks and neck troughs.

You can't have too many guitars. And buying an Agile does not rule out buying a Warmoth (and we all know that you will always buy one Warmoth more  :toothy11:)

Personally the 3200 model is more to my taste. But if the 3100 fits your ideas and demands - go ahead.

TL,DR: Buy it!  :sign13:

AutoBat said:
Don't forget to budget in chrome hardware to replace all that nasty gold.

I'd be a fool to argue with the person whose tastes produced the December 2010 least popular guitar of the month!

clearerphish said:
AutoBat said:
Don't forget to budget in chrome hardware to replace all that nasty gold.

I'd be a fool to argue with the person whose tastes produced the December 2010 least popular guitar of the month!

Ouch!

You have to be careful with gold hardware. Most of the time it looks gaudy, and only a few builds really pull it off. :dontknow:

I've played several 3100s, and even owned one for about 6 months. Excellent guitars. You won't be sorry. They're nicer than Gibsons.

DMRACO said:
from what I understand Agile make a nice guitar.  You will want to change the pick ups though.

+1. I was walking through the local GC a couple weeks ago and they had a used 3100 there. Nice work on the binding, the neck felt good, the finish was still in decent shape (for a well used guitar) and it played well. The only issue I had with it was that the pickups were very muddy. If I was into LPs I would have brought it home along with a new set of Duncans.

Congrats on NGD, BTW.

Back