Surface blems on an RSA body

jim232777

Started to post this as part of my unboxing post, but figured it was better here. This is my first build, so would appreciate advice.  Just unboxed this nice roasted swamp ash body.

Sanding--somewhere I think I've seen a statement on the approximate level of sanding Warmoth does, but I can't find it now...can anyone tell me what that was?  Also, is there any sort of sealer on the unfinished RSA?  Could have sworn it was on the site somewhere.  I've ordered a Wudtone kit, and the instructions suggest 250 grit with no sealer.

There are a couple of surface blemishes that look more like slight flat impressions, a few millimeters wide, rather than a true scratch. I guess they will need to be sanded out before the dye goes on, correct?  So in effect, that meaans sanding the whole body even if it's already at acceptable grit level and no sealer, just so it's all consistent, right?  I've included a pic, if you can make it out.

There is an area on the front edge, in general between the bridge and the strap pin, where the radius between top and edge is inconsistent--mostly a couple small areas where the radius is sharper than the rest of the body.  Should I try to even that out by sanding, or will that make it more noticeable? 

There are a couple long and thin dark spots that I'm not sure about.  Maybe got a bit warm during sanding?  The only one on the front is right next to a tiny knot so could it have come from that?  Should I expect those to disappear with the sanding I already have to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210220_020630835.jpg
    PXL_20210220_020630835.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 205
  • PXL_20210220_020520148.jpg
    PXL_20210220_020520148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 203
  • PXL_20210220_020952835.jpg
    PXL_20210220_020952835.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 186
It should arrive sanded ready for finish except for any shipping dings. That is what your first picture looks like to me. A light touch of 320 should erase that.  I am thinking that the other areas look like discoloration in the wood rather than burn marks. Swamp ash is notorious for sometimes rainbow color spots that are the beginning of spalt. (I have one with a 3" green cat-eye.)  If so it won't sand out and is part of the swamp ash character.

I don't know about roasted ash as I haven't used any yet but regular swamp ash is fickle about sanding. The wood fiber between the grain lines is much softer. Over sanding can cause it to cup like a scalloped neck. I always fight the urge to over-sand everything though.

Surface dings could be a good description.  As I said, doesn't look like a true scratch.  I may need to sand them out whatever they are.  The Wudtone instructions say

Prepare clean bare wood,sanded (clean 250 gritis fine enough at this stage) ready for finish. Make sure any scratches are fully sanded out as these will be highlighted with the first stain/base coat.
and
A common mistake is to sand too finely before the first coats. At this stage you are preparing the wood to receive a high concentration dye ( depending on the kit being used).

Appreciate the tip about potential softness differences.  I'll have to be gentle, and use something that spans across multiple grain lines.

When you run your finger over the spots can you distinguish them from the surrounding area?  If not it looks to me just the character if the wood.

I can definitely feel the dings, so I'm afraid sanding will be required to avoid differential staining of the dings.  Which means I'm in an area I've not done before--sanding, starting from an already-smooth condition.  I've done furniture refinishing, and it's pretty straightforward to gradually increase the grit and tell where your sanding is complete.  If I start with this nicely sanded body, is there an indicator to show progress?  Maybe apply some extremely light pencil marks, and when they're all gone, I've covered the body evenly?

If you think they are defects instead of wood character, you should be having this conversation with W before sanding anything. IMO.

Part of the prep for finish on every guitar I have finished requires some final finish prep. Of the different manufacture's I have handled Warmoth is by far the best and needs the least finish prep. I always steam all the small dings, scratches, and dents up first then final sand with 320 paper. I use a soldering iron and a wet cloth and steam the blemish area only. Make sure the rag is pretty wet or you can burn the wood and that opens up a whole new can of worms. You might practice on some scrap wood.

Appreciate the comments.  Part of my uncertainty is this is my first time buying a body so I don't know how pristine to expect it.  Based on my experience finishing furniture, it's definitely sanded nicely, but the dings mean it's going to need some work anyway.  Other suppliers I looked at said up front final sanding would be needed so I was surprised this one from Warmoth came already so smooth.  It's kind of a shame to sand on it, but the Wudtone instructions recommend 250 grit anyeay to maximize the wood absorbing the dye.  I almost wonder if I'm going to be making it rougher.  :)

I'll have to try the steam treatment before sanding.  Of course, that will mean some extra drying time, but oh well.  Didn't expect this to be a fast process.

Incidentally, the black streaks may have been partially the result of a sanding wheel, but I do think it's originating from the wood.  There is a small spot on the font (forearm relief area) and a larger spot on the tummy cut (that's the longer, curved line) as well as on the back edge near strap button location and the front edge above the neck pocket.  If I follow the growth rings around the guitar, all 4 black streaks are near the same growth line.

StewMac has a good video on the steaming process
[youtube]https://youtu.be/qgqmwQ8KxMw[/youtube]

Back