Superwide Necks are now available with Earvana Nuts !!!

NutBehindTheGuitar

Hi Gang

So I just received my latest Superwide neck from Warmoth, and my first one with an Earvana nut. The last time I ordered a Superwide neck I don't recall Earvana been an option.
So thank you Warmoth for A, making Superwide necks for us big-fingered folks and B, for now making them with Earvana nuts, which I have wanted to try for a long time.

The Earvana website is laughably basic, and it doesn't adequately address what a big deal the Earvana nut is. So here is my attempt to correct that.
CROPPED&REduced_EarvanaNutOnSuperwide.jpg

As you can see the Earvana nut is much wider than usual. And this is how it works. The "G" string nut slot is where it always was, but the slot for the other strings, most notably the low and high E strings have been moved back.

This is why the Earvana nut has to be that much wider.

Now this next picture really shows the difference. This an Earvana nut on a Superwide neck held over a regular TUSQ nut on a Superwide neck. The edges of the two nuts are lined up. But notice that the the first fret of the two necks, don't line up.
38%RED_EarvanaNutComparsion.jpg

The gap between the two frets, is how much compensation is going on. This picture was very hard to take as I only have a cell phone and only have two hands, but believe me the edges of the nuts are lined up.

If there is more interest in this topic I can post more images.
Bye

I find that the ervana nut is also mostly at the correct string height, (whatever correct height is) out of the box, no nut files needed.

I have one Earvana nut, and that guitar sound great. I don’t know though, I tune my standard nut guitars with a Peterson “sweetened” tuning and have no qualms with them at all.

It would be better to picture it with the 1st frets of the necks lined up.

As you can see the Earvana nut is much wider than usual.
Correct
And this is how it works. The "G" string nut slot is where it always was, but the slot for the other strings, most notably the low and high E strings have been moved back.

This is incorrect, the extra width of the Earvana nut is moved towards the 1st fret, ergo the compensation is roughly opposite to what you describe.

The Earvana nuts Warmoth fit are cut by Warmoth. The off the shelf replacement nuts Earvana sell for example a standard Fender nut slot have a shelf that overlaps towards the 1st fret to accommodate the compensation.

Last edited:
Back