Suitable Bass Guitar Strings

JimBeed

Hi all,

Finally at the start of putting a band together, gotten a few practices done and just for when they are needed i want to track down a new set of strings in advance.

Basically my problem is that the strings i first bought for my 5 string Z bass im pretty sure are rotosound RS 665EL - Stainless Steel Roundwound Extra Long Scale.
Now the problem is when i had them fitted, as the guy that did the electronics in the end did a final assembly aswell.

He said that the strings weren't long enough to go through the back of the bass for string thru, now put simply i like the rotosounds i have been using, and i know it definately was some form of rotosounds, but if the guitar tech i took it to was being serious that it wouldn't have worked going thru body with those strings, What other option do i have?

As Extra long is the longest that Rotosound do and it says they are for 33.5" to 36" scale length basses and my Z bass is supposed to be 35", i would have thought that the extra 1" it says it can manage would make it so they could be used thru body on a 35".

Put simply just asking fellow bass players (Five string in particular) on here what do you use for similar basses that allows for the string thru to be used.

Or if i should  get myself another set of them and look at it myself to find out if the tech was incorrect.

I know its not much of a difference but i felt like i wanted to try out string thru to see what it was like this time round.

Thanks very much, Sorry its an essay.

Annoyingly, rotosounds do not in fact fit in string-through configuration. The EL's will give you enough wrap to clear the nut toploaded, but I believe you will end up with the silk in the nut if run through the body.

Ken Smith strings are wound 38", they have been known to fit (by me) string-thru 35" 5-string basses. Rock Masters are the stainless model, should be closest to RS in terms of tone. Plus, the wrap silk is purple, which is just awesome.

The only other strings I've had that I know fit as such are D'Addario super long scale. Other manufacturers make similar scale strings, I'm sure there's something else that fits.

It should also go without saying that you don't need to muck about with "taper-core" style strings if you're going string-thru.

Of course, there is the question of whether string-thru affects the tone or not, I know many on here who tend to debunk the myth; I do like string-thru myself, though, regardless.

Warmoth 5 string basses are 34" scale.  Did someone make a custom neck for you?

When you go string thru, you are effectively adding almost another 1.75" to the necessary string length.

I use Circle K strings on most of my basses and any time I load string thru.  They offer several string lengths.  Be aware, they do strongly recommend against string thru, but I have not had any problems.  YMMV.

My personal opinion is that loading string thru does not make any sonic difference.

Wyliee said:
Warmoth 5 string basses are 34" scale.  Did someone make a custom neck for you?

No...... ive just been calling my bass the wrong scale length for the past year or so  :icon_jokercolor:

An update on this,  i went ahead and got the EL Rotosounds, and they fitted fine going string thru.
However due to using a dodgy clip on headstock tuner, i messed the E string up,  :doh:

So i went to try the old e string out string thru, and the string wanted to do what Rick said and have the silk in the nut,

So in conclusion i believe i must have bought long scale strings the first time round, even though i could've sworn the packet said extra long,

But Yes due to my sillyness in calling it a 35" i was surprised when they fitted string thru fine, but now waiting on another set to come to get the E string strung, and using a tuner that actually works properly, though as i got the other strings tuned fine apart from the b  which i put on but havent touched yet. i might be able to tune the E by ear aswell.

All in all  a rather stressfull week.

However i didnt go mad on take aways at the weekend or eating too much for that matter so my slight diet changes im trying to put in are still in  goodish shape ... i think  :icon_scratch:

SolomonHelsing said:
However i didnt go mad on take aways at the weekend or eating too much for that matter so my slight diet changes im trying to put in are still in  goodish shape ... i think  :icon_scratch:

If any of your takeaway (why is it called takeout only in the US?) included curry, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

Thats probably where my confusion came from Super Turbo, or im just being thick... likely the latter ¬¬

I would love to know the answer to that, i mean i guess they both refer to take ..... from the shop in a sense, so like take out from the shop, takeout, or take away from the shop, takeaway.
Ermmm one less letter to say?  :dontknow:
Im not a big fan of curry, usually find im left with alot of sauce and vegetables, and usually the vegetables in curries im not that fond of,
Found quite a few odd chinese takeaway vegetables i like, Pity the rest of the meals can be fairly fatty haha,

An Englishman who doesn't like curry? That'd be like an American that doesn't like hot dogs...

Not sure if I complemented your bass yet, but I do like it; I find myself on the fence with the Z shape, but whenever I see one assembled in all its glory I love it. (It doesn't hurt that I JUST REALISED what it's based on  :doh:). Bloodwood is definitely going somewhere on my next full-on build...

Yes very true i know, but just never been a fan,

Thanks very much  :rock-on:

Ermmm what is it based on? The design just caught my eye, and thought it was more practical than the iceman which was my second favourite.
I find it so comfy sitting on my knee now ive adjusted how i play it sitting down to accomodate the smaller bottom horn.
Standing up is a dream and whether its just me being a better player or this beauty of a warmoth but i can play really well standing up now.

After Women (i say women but i mean silly S.D.W girl.. ahem) troubles my warmoth has now been given a name that just suits it, and i care for it more than ever.

So much so that while i want to make a second warmoth,

Z bass, 4 string, MAYBE P pickup with MM bridge pickup, or just the MM sweet spot, possibly in the transparent green or some burst with a top on it, Wenge or bloodwood neck with either a purpleheart or bloodwood fretboard again (No i haven't put thought into it honest  :evil4:), I do rather feel like i would be cheating on Annabelle.. Least i can trust her... more than i can say for previously mentioned girl.

P.S: S.D.W ill let you work out yourself, i thought i should keep my post clean as i could haha

It's based on the Zeta Prism. Zeta was around from the early-mid '90s to the early oughts; their electric/MIDI violins and EUB's have a bit of a cult following. I remember having serious GAS for their Crossover EUB back in the day...

SolomonHelsing said:
Hi all,

Finally at the start of putting a band together, gotten a few practices done and just for when they are needed i want to track down a new set of strings in advance.

Basically my problem is that the strings i first bought for my 5 string Z bass im pretty sure are rotosound RS 665EL - Stainless Steel Roundwound Extra Long Scale.
Now the problem is when i had them fitted, as the guy that did the electronics in the end did a final assembly aswell.

He said that the strings weren't long enough to go through the back of the bass for string thru, now put simply i like the rotosounds i have been using, and i know it definately was some form of rotosounds, but if the guitar tech i took it to was being serious that it wouldn't have worked going thru body with those strings, What other option do i have?

As Extra long is the longest that Rotosound do and it says they are for 33.5" to 36" scale length basses and my Z bass is supposed to be 35", i would have thought that the extra 1" it says it can manage would make it so they could be used thru body on a 35".

Put simply just asking fellow bass players (Five string in particular) on here what do you use for similar basses that allows for the string thru to be used.

Or if i should  get myself another set of them and look at it myself to find out if the tech was incorrect.

I know its not much of a difference but i felt like i wanted to try out string thru to see what it was like this time round.

Thanks very much, Sorry its an essay.
Ran into the same problem with the Deluxe 5 Jazz I recently built.  I was an Ernie Ball string user forever, but have now switched to D'Addario Super Long Scale Strings.  Work like a charm.

Back