Stealth boutique amp

mrpinter

I love my Deluxe Reverb RI, but haven't been completely satisfied with it either. The highs were a bit shrill and harsh and it lacked "presence" compared to the Matchless Chieftain and Lightning amps I used to own (I know, it was stupid to sell them... they went out in one of my periodic "purges" of "stuff"). So I just spent about $600 having my tech mod the Deluxe to closer-to-vintage specs. It got new: Hammond output transformer, Weber alnico speaker, upgraded all caps and all new upgraded tubes, and got re-biased at a higher plate voltage. It is now a reborn, very different amplifier. Oh, and something cool - my tech put in a pull out treble pot that adds the bright cap back in if I want it (which I won't :icon_tongue:). So now I have a boutique quality amp and still saved a thousand - or more - dollars over going out and buying another Matchless or something equivalent. And the amp sounds like a million bucks, btw.

Sounds like you've got a very nice combo on your hands now. Wouldn't mind one myself.  :eek:ccasion14:

Back