Special Delivery: Satin Tobacco Burst Ash Tele & Roasted Maple Strat Neck

Cactus Jack

I'm working on a few project and some key components arrived today. First is a chambered Swamp Ash body finished in Tobacco Burst, and the second, is a run of the mill Roasted Maple Strat neck.

I'll post some pics here and answer any questions but I'll go into detail in my build threads. However, a few quick notes and first impressions.

Body:

The satin finish feels amazing. Its the exact same experience I had when I moved from gloss necks to raw burnished wood. It feels soooo smooth that my gloss finish guitars now feel sticky. However, I think I prefer the look of a gloss over a transparent body. To me the gloss provides a bit of pop, but on a solid color I would get satin every single time.

The Tobacco Burst is not what I expected. My first impression is the body is more Black to Yellow Burst than Tobacco as it's overall more yellow, and doesn't have the classic roasted reddish browns around the edges.

T8TxTh9l.jpg

Shp7zRAl.jpg

7RKCqxkl.jpg

Satin vs Gloss Comparison:
nY8xVVFl.jpg

rNk2JnPl.jpg

SSFRNbXl.jpg

Tobacco Burst Comparison:

uUyGlQll.png

Neck:

The neck is a stock Roasted Maple Strat neck. Nothing special, but boy, this neck is ULTRA light. I haven't weighed it, but based on feel this is by far the lightest neck I've gotten out of Warmoth. It's seriously in the feather weight class. Burnishing, leveling, crowning, and polishing will be performed soon.

WJYinT5l.jpg

clKmsoOl.jpg

FhkBfx2l.jpg

lAnu4qOl.jpg

Am I crazy or does it look like I got something other than Tobacco Burst? Below is a comparison of the current Showcase Ash Tobacco instruments in stock. The only satin is the P Bass. What do you think?

It looks more like Black-Yellow burst to me. 
PT8154C.jpg

https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&bFinish=330&i=PT8154

I still think it is awesome and love the satin.

Almost looks like Black-to-Clear burst, but it could just be the lighting, hard to tell from a picture. And yes, it is closest to the P Bass, but certainly not he same. P Bass looks darker around the edge than the rest of the lot.

VinceClortho said:
It looks more like Black-Yellow burst to me. 

Not drawing any conclusions, but this was my immediate thought. It reminds me of my black-yellow Thinline, although mine is gloss.

Photo%20Aug%2029%2C%208%2004%2042%20PM.jpeg

Shp7zRAl.jpg

To me it looks like tobacco burst but a little bit light in the center and the tones of the wood came through. Looks natural.

Whatever the finish is it doesn't look like Tobacco Burst Showcase guitars. The middle is definitely yellow so I think it's Black to Yellow Burst. If there's any red/brown in the burst it's covered by enough black that it doesn't show through. To me the pics show two very different finishes. Aaron said it's Warmoth's busiest time of year, so maybe it was just an oversight.

When I got my clear finish korina body it looked a lot different than the websit, more orangey.

I shot Warmoth the collage of bodies, and they feel there's enough "cause for concern" that they are issuing a prepaid return shipping label. Once again, Warmoth customer service is fantastic and their prompt response is greatly appreciated.

Any updates on what happened here? I noticed some weird inconsistencies with "honey burst" on their website as well. Images showcasing completed bodies show one thing compared the finished catalog. Just curious what they had to say.

Attachments

• HoneyBurstCatalog.JPG
    HoneyBurstCatalog.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 200
  • JMhoneyburst.JPG
    JMhoneyburst.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 177
Back