Smooth out orange peel

Hello, I recently got my Warmoth strat body custom painted by the Sims Custom Shop, the front and back look great but the sides have an orange peel look and texture alI over them.

Is there a way to clear them up a bit?

Here's a couple of pictures:

20240309_111709.jpg20240309_111701.jpg

I would just leave it alone. Really all that could be done is buff or sand that out and/or spray more clear on. Chances are high you will burn through to the paint and then what?

Oof. Will Sims fix it? That’s a tricky area to sand without burning through to Spuds point.

You might be able to buff it out with some automotive cutting and polishing compounds. McGuires Scratch-X is very forgiving, but might not be strong enough for this. Also, auto compounds will introduce wax, which will need stripped off if you decide another coat of clear is necessary.

Thanks guys, guess I'll just leave it then.

Oof. Will Sims fix it? That’s a tricky area to sand without burning through to Spuds point.

You might be able to buff it out with some automotive cutting and polishing compounds. McGuires Scratch-X is very forgiving, but might not be strong enough for this. Also, auto compounds will introduce wax, which will need stripped off if you decide another coat of clear is necessary.
He pretty much said the same thing as you guys, and that if he were to buff/sand it and happen to burn through it I would have to pay for a refinish.

He also said "You’re the first to say something to me about the sides not being sanded/buffed & polished in 24 years."
Which a quick google search says otherwise but that's besides the point.

Anyway, thank you.

I'm not sure if he does nitro, this is urethane. Same as most modern Fenders I believe.

Which, in most cases, is just another name for polyurethane or poly. Either way, I have not seen a Warmoth finish look like that. As others have said, doing edges to get rid of orange peel has a risk of burning through not just the clear coats but also through the colour to the primer underneath.

If you paid someone else to paint it, and you're not happy with the result, take it back and get it sorted out...

"If I wanted an orange peel finish, I'd have asked for an orange peel finish."

We all know why it happened, and we know what it takes to fix it. It's up to them to sort it out.

If you paid someone else to paint it, and you're not happy with the result, take it back and get it sorted out...

"If I wanted an orange peel finish, I'd have asked for an orange peel finish."

We all know why it happened, and we know what it takes to fix it. It's up to them to sort it out.
While I agree, specifically for the amount of money and time I had to pay and wait-
He did say I could send it back and have him sand the sides, buff & polish and attempt to make it better, but could not guarantee the paint won’t get buffed off on an edge. If this happens he said he could not refinish the guitar at no cost.

And this is just speculation but I'd be willing to bet that if there was a chance to make the client that inconvienced him and criticized his work "for the first time in the last 24 years" drop an extra few hundred dollars, he would probably take it, and since he already said what he needed to say about this being a risk, I'd be screwed.

He says he doesn't advertise his finishes as being buffed and polished with zero orange peel on the sides, which sounds a bit ridiculous since most people would probably assume he does rather than not since he also never mentions that he doesn't buff and polish the sides.

I'd stop dealing with him, and it's not worth suing him (unless you live within driving distance, say 50 miles? and what would the trial look like in small claims court? Though you could try to get some leverage over him by contacting your credit card company and filing a dispute and see what happens. Probably that's what I would do, and I wouldn't care if I lost or not, but at least he'd feel some of my pain. In the end, he'd probably win, but so what.)

I'd just call it character and play it. If you play enough eventually all paint wears off.

Another reason why the Warmoth finishes are excellent. Never had a problem, and worth every penny.

Last edited:
Back