Side adjust broken – can I stop the rattling?

Picked up a dusty but beautiful neck online. Didn't notice that it has a side adjust.

Well, it used to have a side adjust – the washer is no longer there. Annoying but not the end of the world, I can live with a vintage neck. The issue is that whatever is left in there is moving around and rattling.

Anyone had luck fixing it? Perhaps a wooden dowel that will block these parts in place but hopefully allows the rod to be adjusted?

Did you try calling warmoth? they must have seen this before they are open now.

Not yet. Seen an earlier thread on a different forum where they suggest sending them the neck for a repair which involves some drilling. Sadly with international shipping it's easier to return this one and get a different one down the road

Gave them a call just now. $90 for a repair would be sensible but the neck is $150 and international shipping would make it expensive. Still looking for a macgyver solution

Stuff a wad of paper in there and see if that stops the noise. Or ball up some rubber bands and shove it in. Don’t pack it so tight you can’t pull it out.
Where are you?

Stuff a wad of paper in there and see if that stops the noise. Or ball up some rubber bands and shove it in. Don’t pack it so tight you can’t pull it out.
Where are you?
Will try tonight with a wooden dowel that's long enough to get out if needed

If you are able to return it to where you bought it from, that is probably a better course of action than trying to fix a problem that should have been disclosed prior to purchase.
Generally would agree but a canary wood neck for $150 is hard to come buy here

Keep us posted from whatever land you may reside. I'm picturing the outer islands of scotland.

I wonder if you could stuff a cotton ball in there to stop the rattling?

Cotton is a good idea, though probably in the Outer Hebrides they would use an actual ball of wool, due to all the sheep. I'd be leery about jamming in a dowel, but it's not my neck. Curious to see how it works.

Eraser would work ... I think they call them rubbers in the highlands.

Back