Short scale Z

ActualGenuine

Here's a Z I completed a while back.

Both the body and neck were showcase items; it's a satin black alder short scale Z body with a wenge/wenge short scale Warmoth neck.

I ordered it with dual MM pickup routs, a Schaler 463 bridge, SS6100 frets, a standard corian nut and Gotoh GB707 tuners.

Then I wired the Musicman pickups (Musicmen?) with V-T-HCP-B. The HCP is the humbucker control pot from PMT, and while I'm a fan of them for humbucker guitars, I'm *wild* about it in a humbucking bass. You can dial in just the right amount of single-coil growl with it, and coupled with the blend knob, the variable sounds are pretty ... variable. =) You can pull up on the HCP knob to switch from outer coils to inner coils, and the difference is huge, much more noticeable than in guitars I've used the HCP in. Probably the physical size of the MM pickups.

The small switch is the remote filter vs. tap control for the HCP, which is handy since it pulls out some of the hum that can come from tap mode when you wind it toward the SC side of the dial.

The only trouble with that many variable controls is it can be hard to find that "perfect" spot again. It's still a blast to play, though.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 859
Back